Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Did an available memory experiment ram

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Did an available memory experiment ram
    I decided to restore my iphone 16gb 3g from a previous jailbreak,
    I wanted to see how much available memory I would have before installing winterboard, categories, quickgold or similar.

Before restore I had winterboard, categories and sbsettings running and available memory according to sbsettings was usuall around the 30mb mark give or take a couple,

So after restoring then jail breaking again with qwkpwn 2.2.5, then updating cydia and installing sbsettings and usuing bosstools, my available memory is sitting at 49mb, I have still to install anything else or put music pic etc on, and ive not even set up email or ran any stock apps yet.

Sb settings is reading
    HDD free: 148 mb on / 14812mb on/var
    Available memory: 49mb

Anyone else find this intresting i was expecting alot more to be free.

It has just went down to 44mb wtf

Now i have installed winterboard rebooted, and selected user wallpaper and transparent dock, now sbsettings says Available Memory is 46mb no change really

after installing steffwiz and then all sources and removing bosstools it is now saying 54mb free on sbsettings nothing else installed yet, It like a yoyo and does what you dont expect
    Last edited by daveeeed; 2009-03-10 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

45MB free without any mobile substrate apps is normal. You're in good shape.

iPhone? More like MyPhone stereosympathy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd say anything in the range your talking about and your doing pretty good. I usually hover around 22mb average.

Gives thanks...Do you?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok, I just expected it to be more with nothing apart from sbsettings installed, maybe this will guide people who think they have low memory, i will keep updating as i install things to give people a guide on what uses what, but the reading seems to fluctuate now and again,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Your iPhone is a computer. The longer it runs the more RAM will be used up. This is why the program memtool and free memory exist. Additionally large games suggest you reboot your phone prior to playing which frees up a maximum amount of RAM just like rebooting your computer.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Now i have installed five icon dock and reflective dock, and rebooted
    sb settings now reads 44mb still

iPhone? More like MyPhone stereosympathy's Avatar
    Thanks

You could open SBsettings and watch that number go up and down all day but really if your not having issues (and I assume your not with 44mb + available) then its not something to get bent out of shape about. Like Poseidon79 said, it is a computer and different processes have different effects on memory usage, up or down.

Gives thanks...Do you?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I reboot mine twice a day

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Your iPhone is a computer. The longer it runs the more RAM will be used up. This is why the program memtool and free memory exist. Additionally large games suggest you reboot your phone prior to playing which frees up a maximum amount of RAM just like rebooting your computer.
    Definitely agree,

Also to note that after reboot (not respring) there is still a slight difference in Available Memory.

On another note, I've seen screenshots of SysInfo (pre 2.0+) that showed ~90Mb free memory.
    That definitely made a difference since the UI hasn't been as fast as it was on 1.1.4.