Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A little help please.....

Thanks

Default A little help please.....
    Greetings all, I am having some issues using my wifi, most of the time on my phone the letter "E" shows up where the wifi symbol should be, I was told this means edge ( I have no idea what that means ) it seems when the E is showing my connection is very slow, is there a setting in the phone that can be used so the wifi symbol stays on ?? I was told it may be a setting in my router but I am not really a computer guy and a friend set up my router some time ago, its an older model D-link wireless router, I have tried to reset the router and delete my connection on the phone and reinstall same thing ?? can anyone shed any light on this for me please ??

Regards, Mortician

iPhone? More like MyPhone Miro89's Avatar
    Thanks

the E is EDGE and its ur carrier provider internet and it is always showing there by default even if its not on. but u have to check that its not on first. go to Settings-General-Network-Cellular data network and check that there are no settings typed there and then try to turn ur wifi on again.

Thanks

Ok I went to Settings-General-Network-Cellular data network , I can only get as far as network ?? there is no cellular data ?? there is a tab that says VPN Not Configured ?? and my wifi is below that and shows the user name for my router ??

Regards, Mortician

Normally,if you set up your router&iphone properly,then iphone finds your router wireless network&connects.If you don't see wifi symbol on your phone,it shows there is a problem beetween iphone&router.
    1st try to connect with your computer to router via wifi&look if it will connect to it.If so,be sure wifi/on on iphone.Check the network settings&make sure all the setting are true.

Edit:i was late.
    Last edited by dejawoo; 2009-02-22 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks

I am not sure if I follow what you are saying but to turn on my wifi I just go to settings select wifi and it finds my router, I put in my password once and it saved it, so now I just select wifi and the phone seems to connect to my wireless connection ??

Regards, Mortician

If your all settings are ok,iphone will find your wifi network&connect.

Thanks

It connects but the wifi symbol comes and goes, for the most part the E stays on as opposed to the wifi symbol staying on ?? is this normal or is there a problem with my connection, as I said before the wifi seems very slow and loses connection or times out when the E is showing ??

Regards, Mortician

Thanks

nvm about celluclar data network if it works now then gr8

i was talking about celluclar data network because i had the same problem and found out that i had some settings in cellular data network so i erased those settings and my wifi turns on and displays the icon

by the way i also mentinoed it because u said that when the E is showing u get internet but very slow which is EDGE

E IS EDGE which is internet from ur carrier provider it takes money from ur account and gives u very slow interent.
    Last edited by Miro89; 2009-02-22 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I am not trying to be a smart a$$ but is there a way to have my connection symbol staying on consistently so it does not go back and forth from wifi to edge ??

Regards, Mortician

Thanks

sry forgot to mention a solution, try resetting ur network and see if that solves the problem

Simply,if there is a wifi network,your phone will automatically try to connect it.If its your own network,iphone will connect to it without asking to you.If the wifi network is not your own network,asks if you wanna connect to it.At that time,you will need a password to connect.
    The sounds like you ve problem with it.Coz when you connect to a wifi network,the E symbol must be disappear...

Thanks

So I guess I am back to my original question ?? is there any settings in the phone that can be tweaked to help the wifi symbol stay on more consistently ??

Regards, Mortician

SBSettings...Turn edge off&wifi on...

Thanks

Can you please tell me how to get to SB settings to turn edge off and wifi on ?? lol..

Is this in settings or do I need to SSH into the phone ??

Regards, Mortician
    Last edited by mortician; 2009-02-23 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I don't understand what your issue is.Coz you re not explaning well your problem.Maybe you have a router issue,maybe not.I tried to explain something about wifi above,but you re still asking for symbols.What will you do with them?If you have a wifi issue,tweaking won't be suitable for you.But you still want it,use sbs&its settings.

mortician, forget all dejawoo said,

The answer is NO.

from the phone side there is NO WAY to make wifi stay on longer. When ur in the wifi range you get wifi, when u leave from range it goes away. If it keeps on switching back and forth and your in range the router is messed up not the iphone.

The E means that internet is going thru ur cellphone/mobilephone connection. You pay for this with the normal phone bill, it is not extra in most (if not all countries)

SB settings will NOT help this problem. They are a separate app that allows you to manage extra settings such as wifi on/off (this is also in the normal settings) and edge on/off (this will turn the phone part off, can be done by airplane mode)

-alek

[email protected], u just confused this guy more, dont help newbs if u dont know what they mean, ur only making things more confusing