Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sound Problem

Exclamation Sound Problem
    Hi, I currently have iPhone 3G with firmware 2.2.1. It is jalbroken. Anyway, I was playing around Cydia last night and installed an app called Volume Booster 2.2. As it didnt do anything I deleted it and installed Volume Booster 2.2.1, again, it didnt change anything as far as I know.
    The problem I have is, sound for everything is working perfectly fine, music, keypad etc..., the problem is when i receive or make a call. People seem to hear me but I cannot hear them.
    I tried to see if i can hear on loudspeaker, no luck. even wih headphones, no luck.

I made a small research and found out that the apps like Volume Booster changes the files on iPhone which are:

com.apple.celestial.plist
    RegionalVolumeLimits.plist
    SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist

as far as i know.
    If anyone has any idea of getting the sound back so I can hear people in calls please let me know as soon as possible please.
    Maybe sending me the origical files for this would work?? :S

Note: I did try and restore the iphone - no luck
    I also trid resetting it from the phone - no luck

All help appriciated

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Thats strange, usually whenever I cant hear a phone call, its when the headphone jack sensor gets stuck. In which case, you just plug in your headphones a couple of times to fix it. But if you've done a clean restore, it should fix your issue if its a software problem, because it wipes the thing clean. I'm voting hardware issue. Try screwing with your headphones in your jack a couple of times (plug it in, pull it out).
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

i just tried that again, no luck. Why would it be a hardware problem though? It doesnt make sense. It could have been headphones issue but that didnt make any difference either :/ I tried replacing the files or editing them myself.. again, no luck.
    I seems like hardware problem but it wouldnt make sense if it is :/

where are they located... i dont want to go searching

Thanks

If you restore, it wipes your phone clean. Meaning no altercations to your system files. Then when it reloads your firmware, all your previous modifactions are gone. Right, so if you indeed already tried to restore and you are still experiencing this issue, then I vote hardware issue (a broken sensor).
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

when I restore, yes it wipes the os and reinstalls it but is there any chance that it keeps certains system files?
    I dont see why is should be hardware problem, I havent done anything to trigger it?

and if this is right, should I just restore, wipe everything off (as it was jailbroken) and take it back for replacement?

when you restore your phone it whipes the entire drive clean then reloads the firmware afterwords it then restores your settings that were saved in the back up. then you sync your media

Thanks

When you restore it, it wipes the thing clean (all your system files). Whenever a firmware update would come about, I used to just hit "Upgrade". After a while, I started noticing dual files for everything. So, after restoring all these extra system files were gone (with each upgrade, all your system files have a different file ext. numbers). Eh, anyway. I hope its not a hardware issue for your sake. When you restored, did you put your phone in DFU mode?
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Don't update with itunes.Just restore with a custom fw.All your data will be backed up...

my concern is not my data anyway, i just hope it is not an hardware issue :/

ok, what i done understand is, problem seem to be only when im in a call. everything works perfectly otherwise.
    When im in a call (not loudspeaker and not headphones) i cant hear anything.. this could be a hardware issue but why can I not still hear anything when i put it on loudspeaker?
    loudspeaker uses the bottom speaker as far as i know which work perfectly fine for everything else so why wouldnt it work in a call?

I still think it could be an issue of Volume boost messing with one of the permenant files... i think it muted "incoming voice(sound)" in a call?
    am i making sense?
    Last edited by orig_nuttah; 2009-02-20 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost