Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: screen goes black during call wont come back without shaking

Default screen goes black during call wont come back without shaking
    during phone call screen locks to the black screen. I have to shake screen continuously to get back screen. To cancel call i have to shake phone to use screen funtions and keep shaking till i push button. if I stop shaking screen goes black and phone is still active with call. I even tried putting phone in freezer to see if screen was sensitive to temp. I used zphone to unlock. any ideas why this happens?

Thanks

It appears your light sensor may be dirty or faulty. The iPhone is designed so that when you put the phone to your ear, the screen goes black to conserve power (and get rid of the distracting glow). If cleaning your screen doesn't work, you might want to have the unit checked out.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

I have found that my screen goes black as soon as I remove the phone from beside my ear, and then comes back on if I put my thumb over the speaker. It would seem the proximity sensor is working the wrong way round.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Try Restoring?

Quote Originally Posted by Sifone View Post
    I have found that my screen goes black as soon as I remove the phone from beside my ear, and then comes back on if I put my thumb over the speaker. It would seem the proximity sensor is working the wrong way round.
    Could be a design flaw in your unit, do you have a case on the phone when your receiving/sending a call? It might be hitting the sensor just a dot, setting it off.

I am pleased to report I have fixed my problem with the screen going black.

My 3g was fitted in a Kressell Orbit case, which has two little 'ears' that come up either side of the speaker. It seems the left 'ear' was interfering with the proximity speaker, and causing it to work in reverse (don't know why or how, but that was the effect).

So I took some scissors to it and cut off the top left ear (the case, not mine), and now it all works as it should.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Awesome!

Thanks

These extra little tidbits would be nice to know in order to help more quickly.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thought it may be the case!