Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sudden decrease in battery life

Default Sudden decrease in battery life
    I've had my 3G for about 2 months now. So far, the battery has lasted pretty much all day and I would charge it at night. Then, for some reason, this weekend the battery life drastically decreased so it now lasts for only about 1/2 a day even with very light use. Any thoughts on what may have happened? I haven't changed any of the settings.
    Not Fair! I may be new to this site but I know what Jailbreak is. It's that show on Fox, right?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

make sure that you turn off the 3G when your not using it, disable new data fetch, and turn down the brightness if it already isnt really low. just suggestions on how to save battery life, but im not sure what might have caused that. did you install something before it happened?

no those dont effect it that much

turn off ssh ... that is one main cause of battery drainage

thanks for your responses. I looked and saw that the ssh is on (although it probably always has been even before the sudden decrease in my battery life. What does ssh do?
    Not Fair! I may be new to this site but I know what Jailbreak is. It's that show on Fox, right?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

How can you turn it off?

You can turn it off in BossPrefs. Install if you dont have it. What other apps do you have installed or have installed lately.

Thanks

Did you install any battery killers from Cydia? Like SwirlyMMS or anything else that may continuously run in the background?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    no those dont effect it that much

turn off ssh ... that is one main cause of battery drainage
    I'm pretty sure ssh only runs when an ssh connection is requested, I have not noticed any difference w/ w/o ssh. I can usually get 1 1/2 to 2 days usage.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My battery used to last about 2 days. That was in september. Now it lasts no more then 3/4 of a day. UGH! I uninstalled winter board and it seemed to have helped a little bit, but not too much.

Quote Originally Posted by xZinnX View Post
    I'm pretty sure ssh only runs when an ssh connection is requested, I have not noticed any difference w/ w/o ssh. I can usually get 1 1/2 to 2 days usage.
    what are you kidding?

i barely get 1

and ssh is always on unless you turn it off...... if it is on you will get 1/3 of the normal battery life sometimes even less

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xZinnX View Post
    SSH always has to be "listening" for that connection, hence must always be running. Try connecting with it off, you'll get an immediate "connection refused"
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

I'm happy to try turning ssh off but what will I lose if I do ( ie. What does ssh do)?