Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Change root login password?

Default Change root login password?
    I feel kinda insecure being on a Wifi network in which one could easily log into my phone over SSH and delete all of my files. How do I change the root login password?

Last edited by Broomhead; 2009-02-16 at 07:43 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Use MobileTerminal on phone. Download from Cydia. Execute MT, su, current password alpine. Now you're super user (same as root). Enter 'passwd', type new password twice. Bingo! Exit and quit. New SSH password is set.

I think as Mes said, it can be done via Terminal, give it a try as i am not sure 100%

Thanks

^Why not just turn SSH off instead of dealing with all the issues from changing the password?
    Respect your elders.

just install toggle ssh

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    ^Why not just turn SSH off instead of dealing with all the issues from changing the password?
    Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    just install toggle ssh
    An SSH toggle (off after reboot) is available for BossPrefs, but unfortunately not for SBSettings.

Trust me, this works 100%. Changing the default root password is one of the very first things I do after jb'ing. Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passwd_(command)
    Last edited by Mes; 2009-02-16 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Update for "after reboot"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    An SSH toggle is available for BossPrefs, but unfortunately not for SBSettings.

Trust me, this works 100%. Changing the default root password is one of the very first things I do after jb'ing. Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passwd_(command)
    im pretty sure that the toggle is available for SBSettings as well. Ya i just look at mine and i have one in my sbsettngs.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keatonec View Post
    im pretty sure that the toggle is available for SBSettings as well. Ya i just look at mine and i have one in my sbsettngs.
    Are you sure it's an option withing SBSettings? I can find a stand-alone app toggle and one listed as "Toggle SSH" for BossPrefs -- but nothing for SBSettings? Please check which repository this is located. Thanks

NEVERMIND!!!. I'm blind.

What I was thinking about (and I prefer) was....... a toggle to keep SSH off after a reboot. This is not available with SBSettings
    Last edited by Mes; 2009-02-16 at 11:12 PM.