Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is the 2.2.1 update worth it?

Default Is the 2.2.1 update worth it?
    Is updating to 2.2.1 worth the trouble on my 2G? Will it significally enhance anything on my phone? All I have seen so far is problems with this update. It's kind of scary when you read through the forums and see this baseband is better or the old firmware had less problems, or I liked it better when I had the old hand crank phone! Sorry.
    I guess what I'm asking is, is this update more for a 3G or a
    2G? No need to do an engine overhaul if the car runs fine! Or are there significant improvements on both ends to do the upgrade and be happy?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I still don't really know what all they changed. I haven't seen any kind of significant differences in 2.2.1. Don't fix what isn't broken eh? Yea, I was fairly disappointed in my decision to upgrade (although it is getting faster to reload all of your apps and such), it was an hr. of time that I will never get back.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grassmasta For This Useful Post:

number johnny 5 (2009-02-17)

I really didn't notice a difference. But I always up date to the latest firmware. Just to periodically clear my phone out. But if your firmware is running fine at the moment then I would stay with it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ichwohneinloche For This Useful Post:

no not worth it

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JStraitiff For This Useful Post:

Some people have poor performance&slow internet and the others not.Also again some people are reporting dropped call&exchange server sync issue.Im also on 2.2.1,but imo there is no much more differences on 2.2.1.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dejawoo For This Useful Post:

I dont really update unless there is some major change.. which i dont think is in this version.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to awaisuk For This Useful Post:

it wud be kinda stupid to upgrade to this version. i m not exactly sure why apply even bothered to release it. upgrading---->jailbreaking--->re-installing.........too much hassle for some crappy upgrade.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to saifeeab For This Useful Post:

Ok, I too have a question. I am running 2.1 right now. Do you guys/gals think I should update my phone. Like everyone else, I just thought it would be a hassle to update. I thought I heard with the update from 2.1 to 2.2 there were enhancements but if they were small then I dont want to update. Can someone convince me to either update or not to update.

Edit: I too have a 2G phone.

Thanks

Google maps street view and walking/bus riding directions is a nice addition that I actually have used quite frequently. 2.2 from 2.1 was worth the hour; 2.2 to 2.2.1 wasn't though, and I'm still holding out for apple to give me my hour back.

Thanks

My phone seems to crash less often now too

Just had to upgrade mine to 2.2 - Did nothing, that I can see.
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=129676&dateline=12338  68848

Quote Originally Posted by ninthchamber99 View Post
    Ok, I too have a question. I am running 2.1 right now. Do you guys/gals think I should update my phone. Like everyone else, I just thought it would be a hassle to update. I thought I heard with the update from 2.1 to 2.2 there were enhancements but if they were small then I dont want to update. Can someone convince me to either update or not to update.

Edit: I too have a 2G phone.
    I did notice alot of changes from 2.1 to 2.2. The street veiw/maps upgrade was nice. Less crashes/freeze ups. And I have also had less dropped calls. Which is always a pain no matter what. The fewer the better. But if 2.2.1 is just Apples way of getting me to waste more of my time with no significant changes, then forget it brother. I got better things to do.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

well since they upgraded the baseband too, im guessing it was just something else to throw out at developers, and make it more of a challenge to unlock. on the 3G that is. im on 2.2.1 with a 3G on AT&T and i havent noticed hardly anything except that safari doesnt crash as much as it used to, but if i had to do it again, i wouldnt have done it.

since we can hack the 2.2.1 version so why not upgrade it then bc it doesn't hurt us but spend some times to get your applications back

I took the plunge last night and upgraded to 2.2.1 FW. It only took about 90mins for me to get everything back up on my phone. Question about the street view, how/where are the street view pictures that was advertised with the upgrade? I only see where Maps labels the current and desired location's address but no street view pictures were there for me to see. I'm guessing that certain cities/landmarks only have the pictures, but I would at least like to see one in action. I live in a large city so I thought something would have a street view picture.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ninthchamber99 View Post
    I took the plunge last night and upgraded to 2.2.1 FW. It only took about 90mins for me to get everything back up on my phone. Question about the street view, how/where are the street view pictures that was advertised with the upgrade? I only see where Maps labels the current and desired location's address but no street view pictures were there for me to see. I'm guessing that certain cities/landmarks only have the pictures, but I would at least like to see one in action. I live in a large city so I thought something would have a street view picture.
    Drop a pin on the map and press the icon on the flag that pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    Drop a pin on the map and press the icon on the flag that pops up.
    What Icon on the flag? The blue arrow only gives the address of the pin that was dropped, no pictures.

Thanks

If you enter an address, the pin that shows up should have an icon to the left of your location description (the name of the place).

I'm not sure if it's just from a fresh firmware or if it's because of 2.2.1 but since I upgraded... (took me about a hour to get my stuff back.) I've noticed that I no longer crash when dealing with large folders of icons/renaming files in MobileFinder. :3

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Daiskei For This Useful Post:

ninthchamber99 (2009-02-17)

I got you. I thought that image was if you wanted a quick way to add the location to your address/contacts. It works, thanks!!