Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Possible adware on cydia?

Default Possible adware on cydia?
    If this happened once i would have thought it was a glitch. However it has happened more then once and now its making me wonder: is cydia bundled with adware?

As of late i will go into cydia and try to install something, in this case it was font swap, and for no reason cydia will crash, youtube will open and i get an advertisement for buy.com complete with howie mandel!

Is this happening to anyone else?
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Cydia has been acting retarded for me as well. I don't get the crashing but when I try to install things it gives me all types of mismatch errors etc. It won't install packages even if I close it and open it or reboot my phone.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

I just tried installing fontswap again for the umpteenth time and it said it installed but no app was to be found. I tried reinstalling but still nothing.

I also had something very disturbing happen, i rebooted my phone and it went right to the first activatiom screen that you would see before plugging it into itunes for the first time. I rebooted again, and the activation screen went away.

Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    If this happened once i would have thought it was a glitch. However it has happened more then once and now its making me wonder: is cydia bundled with adware?

As of late i will go into cydia and try to install something, in this case it was font swap, and for no reason cydia will crash, youtube will open and i get an advertisement for buy.com complete with howie mandel!

Is this happening to anyone else?
    I had this happen when I tried to install iBlacklist. No idea why it had happened, as I had just finished JBing my phone, so it was obviously the first thing I had installed.

not had any issues with cydia or fontswap.

cydia does come up with loads of little messages saying it cant connect to respitories (however you spell that one) and sometimes it says there's a bzip error. but strangly enough neither error seems to stop anything from working.

your not clicking on the adverts are you? maybe pressing more than once cos it is responding slowly? (cydia takes ages to load up new updates, and integrate them into the database stored on your phone before it becomes fully usable)

i've had the activation screen your talking about boe, but that's after trying to install kate from installer, but it's all sorted now, it's never came back, and i've left her well alone

iPhone? More like MyPhone kjack05's Avatar
    Thanks

Ive had the youtube thing happen several times, really weird.
    If I helped you dont be afraid to click thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavC View Post
    not had any issues with cydia or fontswap.

cydia does come up with loads of little messages saying it cant connect to respitories (however you spell that one) and sometimes it says there's a bzip error. but strangly enough neither error seems to stop anything from working.

your not clicking on the adverts are you? maybe pressing more than once cos it is responding slowly? (cydia takes ages to load up new updates, and integrate them into the database stored on your phone before it becomes fully usable)

i've had the activation screen your talking about boe, but that's after trying to install kate from installer, but it's all sorted now, it's never came back, and i've left her well alone
    i think everyone is leaving kate alone... :P

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

Howie Mandell
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Jay Freeman needs to open up donations for Cydia. I'd donate $50. I know it must be hard for him managing that all by himself. Is there a donation line for Cydia?
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I just got the YouTube video too. I was very confused.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Renblade's Avatar
    Thanks

I just followed the steps to try and get the video to appear, however nothing has actually happened. It installed perfectly and I haven't received any sort of error.

Perhaps the issue has been fixed?

Thanks

well. When it happened to me I don't even remember what I was downloading. But def not fontswap because I already have that. But I know it was when I had already clicked install and was about to confirm when I realized I was about to watch something on YouTube.

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

I've never even heard of this issue before now, much less experienced it.
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks

Today was the first time it happened to me. I'll be sure to post if it happens again.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

It happens all the time to mine and a friend of mines. It will shutdown and open youtube with a commercial.

iPhone? More like MyPhone kjack05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bteamer View Post
    Howie Mandell

Glad I'm not crazy. Iwas getting videos of him too. I though I had the Howie mandell iPhone virus. I think I was installing irealsms one of the times it happened.
    Last edited by kjack05; 2009-02-07 at 02:29 AM.
    If I helped you dont be afraid to click thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Needleskane View Post
    i think everyone is leaving kate alone... :P
    Yeah, i installed Kate when i first got my phone cause i really didn't know any better...

now i know better :-)

Either way, now I don't seem to get the buy.com advert, now it just says it installs and the "reloads" and then does a whole lotta nothing.

Still, at least I know I'm not the only one now.

I guess this should be brought to Sauriks attention now. Of course, he is one busy mofo from what i gather.

Quote Originally Posted by gQstatus05 View Post
    Jay Freeman needs to open up donations for Cydia. I'd donate $50. I know it must be hard for him managing that all by himself. Is there a donation line for Cydia?
    I don't even know if its, that... I know some of his stuff is ad supported, and that's out there in the open for all the world to see.

Annoying yes, understandable... yeeeeessss....

But if this is something else, something that we weren't told about then i'm going to think twice before using it. Maybe go to *gasp* installer...

Or manually...

Either way, I think kjack05 is onto something...

it's the howie virus!
    Last edited by boe_dye; 2009-02-07 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

He knows about it

i can honestly say i am yet to see any of this you guys are talking about. the only time i have accessed a video in cydia is when it is part of the descritption for an application....but that was only once. im yet to see ads.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    i can honestly say i am yet to see any of this you guys are talking about. the only time i have accessed a video in cydia is when it is part of the descritption for an application....but that was only once. im yet to see ads.
    Dont think of it as accessing a video, basically this is what happens: open cydia and it start the loading repositories, some load others come up with errors, afterwards go to whatever it is you want to download, push install, cydia goes into its downloading process...

Right around here is when things get odd.

Cydia starts to d/l, and then a few things happen. 1. It starts to d/l but when its finished nothing is there. 2. It starts to d/l crashes and then opens youtube with the howie virus telling us to use buy.com.

It doesnt really have to be with fontswap, as it has happened to me personally on other occasions, it just happened to be fontswap when i realizes that it wasnt a random occurance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast