Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PLZ HELP URGENT: Touchscreen not responding

Default PLZ HELP URGENT: Touchscreen not responding
    My iphone screen has stopped responding completely..i am on fw 1.4 and the screen doesnt respond to my fingers.
    All i can do is just look at the lockscreen.Ntn works at all "Even the slide to power off " screen doesnt work.

What could be the problem? Would a firmware upgrade to 2.1 solve it? or is this a hardware problem?

Please let me know asap if an upgrade would solve this..as the repair guy is askin me for 10000INR..

might as well try upgrading since it is not responding. Have you held the power button until the phone shuts off and then restart it?

Try a restore and then upgrading.. If that doesn't work then your.. Well.. Stuffed

To do a hard reset you have to hold down power & home until the unit shuts off (sometimes it will automatically start to boot again, sometimes you have to hit power to get it to boot again).

If the touchscreen isn't reading after a hard reset, then a restore... you're fooked.

Quote Originally Posted by PorthosPirate View Post
    To do a hard reset you have to hold down power & home until the unit shuts off (sometimes it will automatically start to boot again, sometimes you have to hit power to get it to boot again).

If the touchscreen isn't reading after a hard reset, then a restore... you're fooked.
    thts wht i tried first up when this prob happened..but no luck still...will do an upgrade in the evenin. Just hope its not a hardware defect

Do you have warranty left? If a 1st gen you should consider an upgrade to a 2nd Generation, jailbreak isn't far away

Its digitizer issue.The best way is to replace it with a new one.But before you buy a digitizer maybe this troubleshooting can solve your issue.In order to increase your touch screen sensitivity,you should replace your general.plist file.
    *Download the folder
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
    *Ssh into Applications\Preferences.app\General.plist.Back up it in any case.Then replace it with downloaded file
    *You can reach Touch sensitivity screen under > settings > general > touch.Regular setting is 3.5.Try 0-15 to fix your problem,but do not set it to 16...

Quote Originally Posted by dejawoo View Post
    Its digitizer issue.The best way is to replace it with a new one.But before you buy a digitizer maybe this troubleshooting can solve your issue.In order to increase your touch screen sensitivity,you should replace your general.plist file.
    *Download the folder
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
    *Ssh into ApplicationsPreferences.appGeneral.plist.Back up it in any case.Then replace it with downloaded file
    *You can reach Touch sensitivity screen under > settings > general > touch.Regular setting is 3.5.Try 0-15 to fix your problem,but do not set it to 16...
    i would love to do that ..but prob is to reach the settings > general > touch .. i cant even get out of the "slide to unlock" screen

Will that file work with a 1st Gen firmware 2.2 (jailbroken/unlocked)?

I've recently started to lose sensitivity near the top row of icons. Haven't had time to try a restore yet (and would prefer not to at this point) so I wanted to try this file first.

READ THE FOLLOWING THREAD PLEASE... This worked out perfectly for me, and I hope it works for you too... but first make sure you restore your iPhone so they can't tell it's been jailbroken. Good luck.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...ead-strip.html

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hybridx24 For This Useful Post:

T-Will (2009-02-25)

Quote Originally Posted by Hybridx24 View Post
    READ THE FOLLOWING THREAD PLEASE... This worked out perfectly for me, and I hope it works for you too... but first make sure you restore your iPhone so they can't tell it's been jailbroken. Good luck.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...ead-strip.html
    AWESOME! I might try that. How much is an AT&T SIM card? (never mind, looks like I can just virginize and remove the SIM card).

I'm going to use the Touch hack for now until I can go in for a replacement. Do I just want to move the slider to a number below 3.5? Do I need to enable the "Show Touch" option? I thought I've seen posts that say the "Show Touch" option causes instability, is that true?
    Last edited by T-Will; 2009-02-25 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I tried the "Touch" hack. It didn't help. Also tried a reset and restore. Also, didn't help.

So I cleaned up my phone (no scratches on the screen even though I don't use a screen protector), overall it's very clean, boxed up all the accessories (even have the original shrink wrap on the box thanks to the guy I bought it from). Made an appointment with a Mac Genius.

Showed up at the Apple store a few hours early because I was in the area sooner, they were able to work me in after waiting about an hour. Showed the Genius my phone, he clearly saw the problem. He tried to run it through some software that is supposed to "report what the phone has been doing recently", but was unable to pull any data from that. It could be because I put an extra AT&T SIM, that I don't use, in my phone.

He then did a quick lookup on the serial # and said that my phone was within a range where the iPhone had a known issue with the screen. He typed something up on the computer for about 5 minutes. Pulled out a plain brown box from behind the counter and presented me with my new iPhone (1st gen).

Everything works great now, but I noticed that the Home button appears to be just slightly more recessed than my last phone (I can feel more of a lip between the circle and the glass face). Other than that, it seems to be great!

Lol sorry for the late response... but I'm glad to hear that it worked for you too. If only more people weren't ignorant and were willing to try something new.