Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What can I do with an iphone 3G without service / sim ?

Default What can I do with an iphone 3G without service / sim ?
    I am now running a 1st gen. touch, originally pwned but went legit when the appstore was released. I would love to replace it with an iPhone to get GPS and camera capability, but really don't want to get a contract and I can live without voice and 3G Data service.

So my question is, if I bought an iPhone someplace (like eBay), can I use its features such as GPS, camera, WiFi browsing, apps from the AppStore, etc. if I have no contract with AT&T or other carrier (and therefore no SIM).

I have read about the dreaded no-sim message, but don't know if that keeps you away from the apps that don't require service. The most important app to me is probably GPS so I am particularly interested in that. If the phone must have service to run the apps I want, would a cheap voice contract with T-Mobile do the trick ?

If I must unlock or jailbreak, I don't mind, but I don't know about the activation part and that concerns me.

I have searched to no avail (mostly no-sim related posts). A list of what would work without a sim/contract would be great.

Thanks

^Yeah, you can do pretty much anything with it without a contract, minus voice and 3G of course. To use any App that required an internet connection, you would have to be in a place with WiFi. Therefore GPS wouldn't be truly useful since you would have to be in a hotspot all the time, which is not really possible when moving/driving.
    Respect your elders.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ALL DAY For This Useful Post:

rdfisch (2009-02-03)

Re: the GPS function ... I was hoping I could at least use one of the apps that saves a "track" of points ... and "play it back" later when I am connected. Does the GPS receiver function without other connectivity so that is possible ?

Thanks

Now that you say that, I'm actually not sure if the GPS is independent or not... You can indeed enter a start location and end location which will give you a series of directions to go through step-by-step, but that obviously wouldn't be true GPS.

EDIT: Well, what I got from the interwebz was that it is assisted GPS, which needs some type of connection, however it will still work without anything I guess, as long as you can get a connection to the satellite, it will just be slower to determine your location.
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 2009-02-03 at 08:45 PM.
    Respect your elders.

I dont know about the gps being truly independant to work with out a connection to edge/3g or wifi. But how on earth are you going to load the map from google maps without it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ichwohneinloche View Post
    I dont know about the gps being truly independant to work with out a connection to edge/3g or wifi. But how on earth are you going to load the map from google maps without it?
    Well, I bit the bullet and bought an iPhone (from AT&T). I considered getting one on eBay, but it wouldn't be saving any money compared to buying it from AT&T and paying the $175 cancellation fee after 30 days.

I tried removing the SIM and tested the GPS before I JBed it. It does work, although it takes longer to get its fix, and I think is quite taxing on the battery. Do remember that this is a legally activated phone however (I don't know if that makes a difference).

To answer "what's the use without map": just being able to know my Lat & Long is a big saftey issue for me. I motorcycle and ski deep in the woods alone, often where there is no cell signal. I carry a 5 watt ham radio so this would enable me to get a message out with my location in an emergency. Also, looking at saved tracks when I get back is fun. All doable without cell, data or wifi

Quote Originally Posted by rdfisch View Post
    To answer "what's the use without map": just being able to know my Lat & Long is a big saftey issue for me. I motorcycle and ski deep in the woods alone, often where there is no cell signal. I carry a 5 watt ham radio so this would enable me to get a message out with my location in an emergency. Also, looking at saved tracks when I get back is fun. All doable without cell, data or wifi
    Ah, see I didnt realize thats what you were going to do with it.

Well you can run games, videos, and all the other things, you just cant make calls or sms...thats probably it. You can still use the internet.