Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Forbid GPRS usage?

Default Forbid GPRS usage?
    hi there,
    I just wondered: Is there any way to forbid the iphone to use GPRS and/or EDGE.
    The thing is that my iPhone is unlocked and I use a prepaid-card with it. Well, I want to use EDGE from time to time, but since I have to pay every time I use EDGE or GPRS I obviously don't want it to be used all the time, in the background or get activated when I accidentally tap safari or something.

I can disable EDGE by just deleting a character from the APN and re-add it when I want to use EDGE, so that's no problem (and, as far as I know, services can do that for you either). but how can I disable/forbid GPRS?
    Since I don't need GPRS I wouldn't mind it to be disabled forever and since my iphone is jailbroken I don't mind messing with system files if that's necessary

So is there a way to disable GPRS?

Thanks

There's an App called NetServices.app that will turn off the EDGE daemon and disable it altogether. You can get it through Installer.app
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

BlackWolf (2008-03-03)

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    There's an App called NetServices.app that will turn off the EDGE daemon and disable it altogether. You can get it through Installer.app
    thanks :-) that covers edge, but does that disable GPRS as well? because if I disable EDGE the phone will still try to connect to the internet through GPRS, won't it?

same here.. in my country the gprs signals are completely wrong and drain the battery of the phone really fast.. the netservices.app u suggested doesnt fix this problem as gprs is on nevertheless

It will do both/same thing
    Dam..

Quote Originally Posted by scratch View Post
    It will do both/same thing
    obviously it does not.. its off in the netservices.app but seems to be on (icon is shown in homescreen)

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
    obviously it does not.. its off in the netservices.app but seems to be on (icon is shown in homescreen)
    well that doesn't mean anything. the icon showing just means that an edge signal is technically available but not that edge is in use. so maybe it is switched off.

problem here: I cant find netservices.app in installer, do I need any specific source? However, I do find services.app and when I try to switch edge off in the services.app my simcard gets locked so I have to enter my pin again and everything but edge remains switched on .. strange thing. but if disabling edge disabled GPRS as well, would it be enough to just type in a wrong APN to disable both?
    Last edited by BlackWolf; 2008-03-04 at 12:16 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

stocis (2008-03-04)