Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Yahoo! PUSH for iPhone

Thanks

Default Yahoo! PUSH for iPhone
    So I'm trying to set up Yahoo! PUSH E-mail on my iPhone, remembering it being announced at MacWorld-- but I can't find a single trace of it. Apple isn't even listed as a phone manufacturer on Yahoo's Notifications page! Has anyone had success in figuring out how to do this?

----
    Edit:

Oo, well I just solved that problem You don't activate *anything*. Just type in all your Yahoo information like normal, and Yahoo will automatically detect that you're using an iPhone. It won't tell you anything about it, but it's definitely pushing the mail to my phone!
    Last edited by TomFrost; 2007-07-01 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Yeeeeeah. Should have tried first.

only if there were differant services that offered push. id love to see .Mac do push or even gmail

setup a regular yahoo mail account, then setup your iphone to pull it via IMAP and Yahoo! will automatically push them to you. i figured this out early yesterday morning. also, i set my gmail account to forward my emails to the yahoo account which is on my iphone so it's like having push gmail, until they come up with their own.

Thanks

Criss: I'm doing the same, having a hidden yahoo account and forwarding gmail to it. Gmail's even set up not to forward mail like forum PM notices or monster.com so that I'm not constantly battered with new mail notices.

The only problem I'm running into, though, is that I can't change the sender for yahoo. I'd really rather have my mail come from my usual address (set up in Gmail) than my hidden yahoo account. There's a place in the yahoo web interface to plug in a new return address to use when you send mail, but it doesn't work when sending mail through the iPhone.

Ultimately what I'd like to do is set up a new IMAP account in the phone -- the incoming would be the yahoo PUSH account that I have gmail forwarding too, and the outgoing would be Gmail's SMTP server. The SMTP server part is easy -- but it appears that yahoo doesn't have a public IMAP access. Only POP. I've found these imap servers on yahoo:

imap.mail.yahoo.com
    imap.next.mail.yahoo.com

but neither let me log in -- at least not from my phone.

Has anyone found the server this phone connects to yet? I'll run a router through my linux box and snoop the connections if I have to ;-)

imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com, but i can't authenticate... go to setup a mail account on your phone for yahoo, and put in your password incorrectly and you get an error message stating that

"The user name or password for imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com is incorrect"
    Last edited by Criss; 2007-07-02 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Criss View Post
    imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com, but i can't authenticate... go to setup a mail account on your phone for yahoo, and put in your password incorrectly and you get an error message stating that

"The user name or password for imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com is incorrect"
    I have been having the same problem. Does anyone know how I can get my mail to work? I'm using a unlocked/activated phone with a previous att sim (with plan). I can't get any email to work, keep getting same message as other poster and cant find any info on how to work this. Thanks

I'm also on a family share plan and have a different att activated iPhone on there(dont know if this matters)(mines not activated via att, its modded)

I thought I was the only one with the problem. Anyone out there know the fix.....need my email.

Thanks

people people i called apple its yahoo that is messing up not our phone..its on yahoos end..(damn servers)

Can anyone confirm if yahoo push works even if you're using an iphone overseas?? I can't see why not and yet when i try and set-up my existing yahoo email address i get a msg back saying my username/password is invalid. I notice afew ppl experiencing the same any ideas as to why??

I am using the home wi fi and set my mail yahho account to yahoo on my Iphone with user name/password and send an email to my other account, work fine

seems to be working as advertised again

Was working fine this morning and I tried it again tonight and its not working

possible the yahoo mail sever issue

Thumbs up Yahoo email problem - Figured it out.
    Go to your phone settings
    Click on mail
    Click Add Account
    Click Other at the bottom
    Tap and Highlight the POP tab
    Put in all the required information and for your Incoming Mail Host Name settings put:
    pop.mail.yahoo.com

For your outgoing mail Host Name Setting put:
    smtp.mail.yahoo.com

This should solve the problem. Hope this helps!

I sent my wife an email from work. I asked her if she had recieved it on her Iphone and she said no, she then proceeded to access her mail from her " mail icon " it then told her
    " can not get mail the user name or password for imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com is incorrect". I then deleted her Yahoo account hoping that if I set a new account it would work, new Yahoo ID and password on the PC. I then proceeded to do so on the PC and everything was fine on the PC. I then added the same account and information on her IPhone. The Iphone authenticated her password and her account was created on the Iphone. Now when she taps the mail icon and goes directly to inbox it says the same thing as when she had her old account " can not get mail the user name or password for imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com is incorrect". Please help, there is one thing she can send email thru her " mail icon " and check her email using " Safari " and accessing the Internet and going straight to Yahoo from there. Please help, I'm starting to think I'm not the only one having this problem.

Before I tired djewalt's method I would received the "username/password is invalid" error, then I tried the method that was posted and now every thing seemed to work... But now when im in my inbox it says "The connection to the server pop.mail.yahoo.com failed" any suggestions?

i also tried doin yahoo as a POP and still get that same error message pop.yahoo.mail invalid something like that please help tempted to relock my phone