Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 16gb iPHONE

Default 16gb iPHONE
    Just got to wondering as I was thinking about my $100 credit that I will get towards my next apple purchase....

Could it be possible, to buy a 16gb Ipod Touch, crack it open and take out the memory from it, and then open up my 8gb iphone to put the 16gb worth of memory in.

They've got to be damn close to identical on the insides, so maybe everything would line up/connect.

Now THAT would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Boosty View Post
    Just got to wondering as I was thinking about my $100 credit that I will get towards my next apple purchase....

Could it be possible, to buy a 16gb Ipod Touch, crack it open and take out the memory from it, and then open up my 8gb iphone to put the 16gb worth of memory in.

They've got to be damn close to identical on the insides, so maybe everything would line up/connect.

Now THAT would be sweet.

just wait a little while. there's gotta be an official 16gb iphone coming. there are 2 reasons why i think this:
    1. they are fading the 4gb's out of existence...they are priced at $299 (while supplies last)
    2. they've proven that people (1 million of us) will pay $599 for the iphone...why drop the price to $399? cuz they're going to replace it with a 16gb version...that's why.

right, but I dont want to pay another $600 for a 16gb iphone

Id rather mod the one I have for cheaper

well, you'd have to pay $400 for the ipod touch and then it'd be useless if you took out the hard drive. if you bought a 16gb iphone, atleast you could sell the 8gb version for $300 or somethin. that way, you're only really spending $300...instead of $400...minus the $100 store credit in either case.

Noooo

I'm talking about just switching the hard drives in each.

leaving me with a 16gb iphone and an 8gb ipod touch, which also would have cost $300 not $400, by using my $100 apple store credit

Thanks

well my firend u got a interesting idea

nice to see someone has their imagination hat on

Noooo

leaving me with a 16gb iphone and an 8gb ipod touch, which also would have cost $300 not $400, by using my $100 apple store credit
    That would work, if there were actually a hard drive in there... It's just chips, though, so it won't.

actually, this would work. they do sell solder/desolder tools for these kinds of chips, though im not sure about this particular chip. but you would have the possibility of bricking both the ipod and the iphone. also, depending on the room and your electronic talent, you could piggy back the chips and have a 24GB iphone

dont hold me to any of that, i know these things have worked in the past with other flash based devices, but dont really know about the inside of the iphone.

Personally, I wouldn't want to mess around with desoldering and soldering flash chips and possibly ruining 2 expensive pieces of hardware. I think a 16GB iPhone is directly around the corner for $499. I don't know how apple wants to play it though, they may wait until after Xmas. We'll see what their strategy is.

Don't take it personally but, just the fact that you are calling it "harddrives" makes me think you shouldnt try to do this.

Noooo

Dont forget that what the ipod is missing is a radio transmitter for the phone function. If the hard drive in that is any different in shape, it might not fit due to the other stuff hanging out inside iphone.

although I had that same thought and am very curious myself..... but we shall see how this pans out!

Just wait about 2 years (til the end of your AT&T contract) and get an 80gig iPhone. Typical Apple move is to introduce new stuff with low storage and as time goes on they bump up the storage capacity so people will continue buying thier products (upgrading). I can hold on to this for two years.

Yeah, because Im sure they will have low-cost 80GB NAND chips in 2 years time after spending 10 years on getting to 16GB.

You must not be familiar with Moore's Law

Quote Originally Posted by smoovie View Post
    Just wait about 2 years (til the end of your AT&T contract) and get an 80gig iPhone. Typical Apple move is to introduce new stuff with low storage and as time goes on they bump up the storage capacity so people will continue buying thier products (upgrading). I can hold on to this for two years.
    LOL, your going to be waiting a lot longer than 2 years for that....

You must not be familiar with Moore's Law
    Who are you referring to?

any of you

technology constantly grows at an exponential level

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    One of the bad sides of the new ipods and the dropped price is that if you did pay 600 for the phone, then you cant sell it for a comparable price. I say ride it out, but it really sucks that they dropped the price because now when you get a new one, you cant get much for the old one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone antiflash's Avatar
    Thanks

"Moore's Law describes an important trend in the history of computer hardware: that the number of transistors that can be inexpensively placed on an integrated circuit is increasing exponentially, doubling approximately every two years. " - Wikipedia

And regarding this attempt...I would give it a test run by (carefully) disassembling the iphone (check out the anandtech dissection or geohot's guide) and see if you can identify the memory chips. from there...you should be able to give the project a thumbs up or down.
    Black 16GB 3G iPhone w/bestskinever
    Q6600, 3GB RAM, Vista Ultimate Desktop Box
    2 Hands, 10 Fingers, etc
    Temporary Eee PC Portable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast