Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chinese Input and Dictionary

Default Chinese Input and Dictionary
    Hi,

I was wondering what is the best software for inputting Chinese on the Iphone? Also what is the best Chinese-English dictionary? I've tried www.iphonecedict.com, which is OK because it uses pinyin, but the definitions are not precise at all. Any info much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Alexander

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You know, it's really funny, I was looking for a method of inputing chinese piyin on the iPhone as well yesterday. Here is what I found... there is a program called NativeCn and I'am using it now. You can use Piyin to type chinese on notes, SMS and I'm guess calendar as well. It's a really good program.

As of the chinese-english dictionary, I do not know... if you find out tell me coz I'm trying to learn mandarin! lol.

Default Nativecn English Installation Instructions
    Thx for your post Taniban. Fyi, I've been told that wedict is a great dictionary program. I was just curious how your install process with Nativecn went. There are many sites that mention NativeCN, but I've yet to find one in English that gives a tutorial how to properly install it. Because I cannot read Hanzi (Chinese characters), I had to guess the instructions on this website:

http://www.iphone.org.hk/cgi-bin/ch/...ow.cgi?id=1319

Because I'm running firmware v1.1.3 (Ziphone v2.5 unlock), I followed these instructions:

I did steps 1 and 2, did you do steps 3-6 which I believe includes messing with SSH (don't know what that is) and using Putty. I'm running on a mac on leopard. Sorry to bother you about this, but I'd really appreciate any information you could provide.

Regards,
    Alexander

P.S. Your hotmail e-mail address bounced back my e-mail.

Anyone have more input on this? I need help because I want to buy one for a relative in China and they want to be able to use text (SMS) in Chinese.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hanguolaohu View Post
    Thx for your post Taniban. Fyi, I've been told that wedict is a great dictionary program. I was just curious how your install process with Nativecn went. There are many sites that mention NativeCN, but I've yet to find one in English that gives a tutorial how to properly install it. Because I cannot read Hanzi (Chinese characters), I had to guess the instructions on this website:

http://www.iphone.org.hk/cgi-bin/ch/...ow.cgi?id=1319

Because I'm running firmware v1.1.3 (Ziphone v2.5 unlock), I followed these instructions:

I did steps 1 and 2, did you do steps 3-6 which I believe includes messing with SSH (don't know what that is) and using Putty. I'm running on a mac on leopard. Sorry to bother you about this, but I'd really appreciate any information you could provide.

Regards,
    Alexander

P.S. Your hotmail e-mail address bounced back my e-mail.
    Dude... if you guys got installer... all you have to do is... add the source http://www.iphone.org.hk/repository.plist and download NativeCN.

Quote Originally Posted by DisturbedZen View Post
    Anyone have more input on this? I need help because I want to buy one for a relative in China and they want to be able to use text (SMS) in Chinese.
    Follow what i said on my last post... download nativeCN and put it to Hanyu mode and you will be able to read Simplified Chinese.
    Last edited by Taniban; 2008-04-15 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost