Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone + Airport Express in Hotel - No Computer

Default iPhone + Airport Express in Hotel - No Computer
    I have an unlocked iPhone (ie, no Edge service on my carrier) and I rely on Wifi for my internet connections. I just purchased an Airport Express for streaming music at home. But I would also like to be able to take it on the road to set up a Wifi network in a hotel room or wherever there might be a Ethernet hard-wired connection.

The Airport Express requires setting up profiles with the Airport Setup Utility on a computer in order to use it. Might it be possible to set up the Airport Express on my computer at home for use while traveling so all I would have to take is my iPhone and the Airport Express? If so, what would those settings need to be? Has anyone done this?

And that leads me to an idea for a new iPhone app. An app that would access your Airport Express on the road and let you set it up to create a wifi network without a computer. Basically a version of Airport Setup Utility that could run on the iPhone. Maybe some programmer could take a stab at this.

Bump - old thread - great idea.

I would LOVE to see an app for iphone that lets you configure the airport express without using a computer..

If you use your airport express at home you probably have it in bridged mode.. but I'm not sure if that would be the correct choice for a hotel. I myself like to travel light as well and when i'm out of the country I don't use my data plan...

Again - I would also like to see an airport express config app for iphone..