Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G 2.1 Battery Drain

Thanks

Default 3G 2.1 Battery Drain
    ok, right now, i have apps installed.

app store:

netnewswire
    facebook
    movies
    shazam
    remote
    vicinity
    ifooty
    ebay
    wikipanion
    tuner
    visuaradio
    last.fm
    flycast
    voicenotes
    simplify
    monkeyball
    spore
    300 bowl

Cydia:

bossprefs
    car battery (winterboard)
    cycorder
    drunktionary
    dtunes
    facts
    five icon dock
    leopard (winterboard)
    monochrome (winterboard)
    neurox leopard (winterboard)
    openssh
    safari download plug-in
    tonefxs
    winterboard

now, in bossprefs, even with EVERYTHING switch off my battery still drains really fast. i have used bossprefs to get numeric battery, and im finding that if my battery is at say 8, if i charge for 5 minutes it will jump to around 50/60, then ill remove the usb cable and the battery will drop dramtically, really quickly. i can literally use the phone and watch the numbers decrease while im simply looking at the home screen.

i have looked for sys info apps for 2.x but can't find one?

the only other thing that worries me is that i bought a 3rd party car charger from ebay and have been using this to charge my phone in the van, but, i have noticed that when the phone reaches 100% if i turn the radio off i cn hear a faint hissing sound, and these battery issues have only really come around since i have been using this charger, but there has been so many firmware updates aswell its hard to tell.

so,

1) is there a way to find out my system info?

2) has my car charger mucked up my battery, either so its not being identified correctly or so its not holding its charge sufficiently?

i had this at 2.0.2 and now 2.1, always pwned. it is bad enough now that i am thinking of restoring to stock 2.1 and getting rid of all my cydia apps

UPDATE

charged for 30 minutes, installed and opened mybattery from cydia, the battery is now discharging at an average of 1% every 10-15 seconds.

when the screen is locked with nothing open, the battery still drains fastbut not as fast as that

its not normal
    Last edited by reeko; 2008-09-24 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

try using the app killme it help's to shut off most of the jailbroke app's you have on your phone to save battery life.. and i wouldn't trust the car charger i screwed up my 2g phone like that.. had to take to apple for them to replace.. hope this helps

Thanks

Try letting the battery run down until you get a 10% warning and then recharge fully.

Car changers are hit or miss as well. Now that I read this again, I m not wondering if part of my problem was the car charger My woes all began on a trip to NY when I had the iphone plugged in to the car charger while having it connected to an ipod cassette adapter. At one point I even got a message telling me my iphone needed repair but I got it working again with a restore. However it doesnt stay very stable and Ive restored probably 6 or 7 times in the last 2 weeks.

The problem wiht issues like this are that they are very random and have many different causes.

Thanks

i can't use killme as i dont know what is running in the background to kill? and it says success no matter what is typed in.

i have depleted the battery fully about 5 times.

seeing as the only way to run 2.1 on a lower baseband is to pwn (upgrading baseband means unlocking = less likely) i am creating a new custom, partition wiping and am only going to install winterboard.

if i still get the same battery depletion i am going to restore to stock 2.1 and iphone life will suck, but better to have a good batterry than sucky one.

if i still get bad battery, will get a replacement from apple and bin the car charger

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

did u read the post about winterboard & bossprefs? I'm going to redo my iPhone 2moro without these apps as they suppose to mess with the phone.

Thanks

One other thing to try is to install Respring and use that after using your iphone for things like ipod, games and safari.

Thanks

ye i read that but there didnt seem to be any input from saurik or bigboss, who are generally pretty good with the community if something is up with their apps.

2.1 has been out for a while now and nothing major has really been said?

maybe apple have done this deliberately?

the only apps from cydia i want majorly are winterboard and bossprefs, if i cant have those, i will update the baseband.

just restored anyway, gonna try winterboard and bossprefs now

bhz1, i can literally turn the phone off, restart and watch the numerical battery just countdown, before even opening anything.

maybe apple has placed something in firmware 2.1 that conflicts with cydia to drain the battery somehow?

although this problem doesnt seem very widespread so im guessing it must be my charger?

UPDATE

now this is interesting.

honestly, before the update i thought i was my car charger and that it was a hardware problem.

now i am restored, pwned and have the cydia updates + bossprefs installed. that's it app wise, nothing from the app store, nothing else from cydia.

my battery is holding and acting absolutely fine, so its not my car charger, and its not a hardware issue. it's an application issue, and it cant be an appstore app so it must be one of:

car battery (winterboard)
    cycorder
    drunktionary
    dtunes
    facts
    five icon dock
    leopard (winterboard)
    monochrome (winterboard)
    neurox leopard (winterboard)
    openssh
    safari download plug-in
    tonefxs
    winterboard

i guess a little trial and error is in order here.

UPDATE 2

ok, check my other posts. i am a big big fan of saurik and everything he has done and continues to do for us all.

but

i installed winterboard, restarted phone, everything was good.

i then downloaded a theme, and when pressing return to cydia the phone crashed and restarted itself.

upon reboot (which took a very long time), the battery went from 32 to 19 when it rebooted. i then plugged the usb in and the battery jumped to 30 again in 2 minutes with the screen on.

none of this happened prior to the theme, but, my battery is still not decreasing as rapidly as it was before i restored, but is decreasing faster than it was without the theme + winterboard.

partof me is hoping this is a hardware issue because i dont want winterboard to do this.

does anyone else have any input? i mean all of the jailbreakers must be running with winterboard, would be good to hear peoples experiences. hopefully it is just me that this is happening to.
    Last edited by reeko; 2008-09-25 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Suck it up, Sucker

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I am also having the exact same issue. But in my case problems started after upgrading to 2.1. My guess the culprit is ToneFXs. Right now, I only have Cydia, QuickGold and mybattery installed. Initially, I had thought the problem was with QuickGold, but I have eliminated that app by trial and error. Just removed bossprefs to check if that helps or not. Never installed winterboard after restoring my iphone yesterday. I only had QuickGold, BossPrefs and ToneFXs. Right now I have 17% battery remaining after 3 Hours 1 mins of Usage and 7 Hours 58 Mins of stand by time. I am hoping bosspref and winterboard are not the culprits.

Btw, I have every service disabled other than Wi-Fi.
    Last edited by itsalok4u; 2008-09-25 at 02:44 AM.

I'm in the same boat, my battery performance is simply horrible.

I hope Winterboard is not the problem because I simply adore it.

Disabling 3G has helped improve my battery life but what's the point of owning a 3G iPhone if you have to keep 3G disabled all the time ?!?!?

I haven't noticed an improvement with 2.1 as Apple had claimed...maybe it's BossPrefs or Winterboard ?

HELP !!!

Thanks

Whats is ver very odd is that I ended up rebooting my wifi router this morning, and not only did it fix my inconsistent wifi and SSH issues my entire iphone seems more stable and battery lasting better. I also restored and JB'd teh iphone about 4 times yesterday.

What I did was to restore to 2.1 in itunes, ran quickpwn for windows. I added WInterboard and applied themes added things like 5 icon dock and rebooted after each install. I then let itunes sync back my info, music, videos. In a separate sync I added back my appstore apps. rebooted. Installed categories and rebooted before creating folders. Only then did I create folders and add apps.

Wifi was still weird and battery life going down faster than normal. Until I rebooted the damn router.

I have been googling on this alot and wonder if itunes 8 and/or 2.1 firmware did something to the way the network connects. If its having trouble latching onto a signal that eats the battery like mad.

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    Whats is ver very odd is that I ended up rebooting my wifi router this morning, and not only did it fix my inconsistent wifi and SSH issues my entire iphone seems more stable and battery lasting better. I also restored and JB'd teh iphone about 4 times yesterday.

What I did was to restore to 2.1 in itunes, ran quickpwn for windows. I added WInterboard and applied themes added things like 5 icon dock and rebooted after each install. I then let itunes sync back my info, music, videos. In a separate sync I added back my appstore apps. rebooted. Installed categories and rebooted before creating folders. Only then did I create folders and add apps.

Wifi was still weird and battery life going down faster than normal. Until I rebooted the damn router.

I have been googling on this alot and wonder if itunes 8 and/or 2.1 firmware did something to the way the network connects. If its having trouble latching onto a signal that eats the battery like mad.
    I have my wi-fi turned off all the time, I only use 3G (I'm paying $30 a month for data so I might as well use it) and my battery life is horrible.

I know that having 3G and PUSH enabled is a big load on the battery but I need both !!!

I'm thinking that this battery is under capacity, bet you the next version of 3G will have a larger capacity battery...

reading all these posts about draining issues, I kinda got paranoid too, and have been checking out the battery meter app a lot. After full charge, this morning, I left home and took the train. Along the way, 17min, I checked MMI, downloaded the new (and kinda crappy) lightsaber app, and checked out Cydia. The time spent online was probably about 7-8min, but that was enough to make the batteries drop to 93%... That sucks!
    Afterward during lunch, I put it to sleep for precisely 30min and didn't lose a single percent... Still smells fishy

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

loook mannnn
    try to restore
    and see
    my old car destroyed my old phone's battery due to fluctuations in charging

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

even i faced the same battery problem but it was not as horrible as most of the you guyz are facing... i used to charge my iphone using the USB via pc... i never faced this problem but recently even after charging the iphone to 100% it dips down to 30-40 overnight i.e. when the phone is doing nothing at all... i have now restored the phone and ive not installed a single 3rd party app... lets see what happens overnight... will report soon...

thanks zahirsayed, keep us posted...

Thanks

ok,

i have installed from cydia:

bossprefs
    winterboard
    tonefxs

my phone actually died on me today, so the culprit is one of those, and im sure its not bossprefs so either winterboard or tonefxs.

i also keep wifi off, just use 3g. when i had just bossprefs installed, everything was fine like i said above.

seriously debating whether to bin jailbreaking altogether, it seems to have such a negative impact on the use of the phone - even worse battery life, laggier keyboard + apps.

not in a happy situation right now

just to add aswell,
    the battery decreases allot even when locked.

earlier i used bossprefs to respring + lock and left the screen in lock, noting the battery. i unlocked it 30 minutes later and the battery had dropped by 8%

at 2.0.2 the battery never used to move whilst the screen was locked, so something is up here
    Last edited by reeko; 2008-09-25 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Suck it up, Sucker

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Now I am sure the problem is ToneFXs in your case reeko. With only QuickGold and myBattery installed I got 6 hours 25 mins of usage time and 17 hours 10 mins of stand by time which is a great improvement for me. Try removing ToneFXs and test again.

Thanks

dam, im gonna miss my shuffle ringtones

will uninstall now , and test it out...

good news: it is tonefxs

bad news: it is tonefxs

no more shuffle ringtones

would be nice to have some sort of system info app to see exactly what is running and killing my battery, would have saved a hell of allot of time...
    Last edited by reeko; 2008-09-25 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Suck it up, Sucker

iPhone? More like MyPhone my2AWDgst's Avatar
    Thanks

Battery drain sucks,after i turned my wifi off the battery life is a lot longer.
    DSM fan
    ...16GB 3G Iphone...

Default There might be more to the battery drain
    I have a similar iphone setup like 'reeko', 2g jailbroken/ pwned (in india)
    most of the apps from app store and cydia are similar and baterry is really bad. You guys have concluded the tonefx to be the culprit, i've never downloaded that app and i had the battery trouble since i jailbroke with 2.1.

Dont know about bossprefs and winterboard, but Ive read a post which says that quickgold (The best app ever made for iphone ) dosent run in the background as it works and integrates with the springboard. It cannot be the culprit.

So who is - ill try to get rid of winterboard and may be boss prefs, as there are indipendent toggles(SSH wifi bluetooth among others) which can be launched through quickgold. Similarly the safari dl plugin comes with a 'play media' option so no problem in that department and thus boss prefs is more or less dispensible.

Above all- there might be two more reasons :-

1. Charger - just like 'reeko' i have been using car charger which keeps getting briefly disconnected (few seconds Due to rough roads or loose connecters). These fluctuations might have screwed up the battery.

2. The network servive update prompting in itunes- There was this network servise signal update blinking in itunes with 2.1 , i read on the net that its harmless. Well may be not, it might have screwed with the reception of the jailbroken or unlocked phones which are using unintented networks by apple. Some body please comment to either verify or trash this theory.
    Cheers
    NBFT

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast