Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G 2.1 Battery Drain

Guys, ive been having really bad battery life also, my BEST stats were 2:20 usage, 10 hours standby. Jailbroken 2g 2.1, I still have winterboard/boss pref's installed.

I changed the battery last night. Ill let you know if it was a battery problem, or if its something else. If the battery still stinks, im going to have to do a restore.

I am also using a jailbroken 16GB 3G and I must say that I get great battery life. I have Cydia, BossPrefs, Snapture, Cycorder, MyBattery, Volume Boost, MakeitMine, OpenSSH and Lockdown currently installed. I just snapped this screen with about 2% battery left. I plugged it in yesterday for about 3 minutes while I SSH'ed in to grab a Cycorder video. I usually get between 6-7 hrs. usage and 36-40 hrs. standby time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Houls View Post
    I am also using a jailbroken 16GB 3G and I must say that I get great battery life. I have Cydia, BossPrefs, Snapture, Cycorder, MyBattery, Volume Boost, MakeitMine, OpenSSH and Lockdown currently installed. I just snapped this screen with about 2% battery left. I plugged it in yesterday for about 3 minutes while I SSH'ed in to grab a Cycorder video. I usually get between 6-7 hrs. usage and 36-40 hrs. standby time.

no winterboard?....
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

I had winterboard before I went to 2.1. I decided not to install it this time to see if my overall UI performance would be better and I believe it is. Themes are great but some are buggy and I think in general they slow down your phone. The only springboard mod I use now is 5 icon dock.

Well I took the time to install the new battery, and battery life STILL sucks. I deleted almost everything I downloaded from cydia, and some apps from the app store. Im not going to do a restore since I had serious problems getting this thing to work with tmobile in the first place.

Screw this thing, im selling it, my blackberry that ive had for almost 2 years have given me zero problems, this thing in 2 weeks has given me nothing but headaches. Glad I didnt sell my BB.

Default Calibrate
    Quote Originally Posted by asr10 user View Post
    Well I took the time to install the new battery, and battery life STILL sucks. I deleted almost everything I downloaded from cydia, and some apps from the app store. Im not going to do a restore since I had serious problems getting this thing to work with tmobile in the first place.

Screw this thing, im selling it, my blackberry that ive had for almost 2 years have given me zero problems, this thing in 2 weeks has given me nothing but headaches. Glad I didnt sell my BB.
    Did you calibrate the battery? Try giving it a full charge,(overnight) running it all the way down until the phone literally shuts itself off, then repeat. This has always worked for me and I've had great battery life on my 2G and 3G. Good Luck.

Thanks

hey asr10, as I & others b4 me have said you HAVE to restore to do a proper test & also set up as new phone! Not from back up. Untill then ur wasting your time. I would have restore b4 changing battery. I'm sure u would b able to get it to work with tmob with a little patience.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asr10 user View Post

Stop the whining. Restore it, don't jailbreak, don't install Cydia. Use it how its supposed to be used, and then rate the battery life. If you're going to do otherwise, you have to accept the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    I should clarify I never actually used backgrounder. This drain was just having it installed.
    Backgrounder automatically places PHONE, IPOD, MAIL and SAFARI in the background when you first run them. It doesn't show obvious signs of doing that, however, these 4 applications open up instantly after the first time you run them.

mobile 686 0.1 12.6 323388 14980 ?? Ss 7:25PM 0:02.64 /var/stash/Applications/MobileSafari.app/MobileSafari

This is the result of launching Safari. It stays in the memory and uses 12.6% of my phone's total memory. CPU is at 0.1, so that's insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Stop the whining. Restore it, don't jailbreak, don't install Cydia. Use it how its supposed to be used, and then rate the battery life. If you're going to do otherwise, you have to accept the consequences.
    Thanks for the great advice, although im on Tmobile, and im sure glad I tried out the iphone instead of getting locked into a contract for that pos. I accepted the consequences sold my iphone. The iphone should be in the dictionary next to the word hype.

Thanks

Perhaps the most childish statement I've encountered here yet.

Hi guys,

just had a read on all the post.
    The reason I found this post is due to my battery indicator issue as well.
    For some reason, I do agree that my battery indicator did jump from green bar to 20% red bar out of a sudden (this usually happens when one of the app hangs & either respring or I restart the phone myself). Currently running on 2.1 JB with most of the popular apps installed (cycorder, snapture, bossprefs, winterboard, backgrounder, mewseek, docks, etc). Just recently removed the "volume boost for 2.1" since I suspect that might cause the battery problem. Honestly, I think any of the apps might be the culprit.

However, I have a couple of questions here:

1) How do I check on the percentage of battery in my phone? Do i need a 3rd party app / some tweaking?

2) I kinda regret installing winterboard since I could just SSH any custom icons into the phone, do I need to make a full restore in order to get rid of it? From what I read from other users, some said it's possible, some said it's better to restore. Then again, I had backups, will the iTunes backup carry any of the JB information when I restore the phone???

3) How do I use the backup which I made using APT/APPbackup??? knowing that as soon as I restore the phone, those app won't be there to restore my previous JB app data back into my phone?

4) I use Newstand everyday & I must say that the application is very unstable, could it be the number of Feeds I have? I contacted the support team & they told me to keep the folder as minimum as possible.
    It keeps crashing whenever I stay too long in it reading news....any idea?

5) I couldn't seem to get Dock v3 working (in terms of Speed dial). any idea?

Thanks guys!

Banned
    Thanks

^^Btw FYI .. the volume boost for 2.1 isnt an APP its a file mod.
    It modify's values within your phone.
    Its not an app that actually runs.
    It just has an installer for ease of use.

my iPhone battery died on me at the worst time possible. gah. I have noticed that it takes a quite an amount of power every time you completely turn off your phone and turn it off. I learned the hard way. It was 11.07.08, citywalk the gears of war launch event. my phone died before midnight.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345