Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: VERY NEW I PHONE USER...1.1.3...help appreciated and wanted to answer a few general q

Default VERY NEW I PHONE USER...1.1.3...help appreciated and wanted to answer a few general q
    hey all, i'm new to the whole i phone experience and i'm thoroughly pleased with a site like this i would like to ask a few general q's that may sound dumb but nonetheless i need to ask em i'm from Trinidad btw....i just got a new i phone v 1.1.3 and i wanted to know how are you sure if it's unlocked....i was also particualrly interested with the drag and drop progs and i even tried opening it on my laptop but to no avail am i doing something wrong? also i think the themes are pretty cool i just dont know how to add a theme to my phone also i would love to add some pretty cool apps please help with guiding me through the questions that i have asked...it'd be greatly appreciated....thanks in advance all...Stefan

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Try another carriers sim card (i.e. T-Mobile) to see if it is unlocked... Not quite sure what you mean by drag and drop programs (Someone else may be able to help you there) Themes and Apps can be added simply by Jailbreaking your phone using ZiPhone v2.4 found @ ZiPhone.org and following the video tutorial used by (I recommend) AceMurdera. I started from scratch a long time ago just like you, however it was a lot harder back then than it is now... Installer.app is what you will use for finding your themes and apps... I suggest reading through these forums and using ZiPhone's program and website along with the YouTube videos to help get you up on your feet with your new phone. Hope I was able to answer a few questions for you. Good Luck with it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ArsenicIce For This Useful Post:

supersexybean (2008-02-27)

Default Thanks!
    hey arsen i wanted to thank you for your reply firstly and secondly for the information you gave me...let me just rephrase what i had mentioned earlier...what i meant to say how are you sure if your i phone is jailbreaked...does that installer icon indicate that it is? also the drag and drop program that i was speaking about was fugu how does that work and how do you use it?...any feed back from anyone would be GREATLY appreciate...Thanks a lot guys...

Quote Originally Posted by supersexybean View Post
    hey arsen i wanted to thank you for your reply firstly and secondly for the information you gave me...let me just rephrase what i had mentioned earlier...what i meant to say how are you sure if your i phone is jailbreaked...does that installer icon indicate that it is? also the drag and drop program that i was speaking about was fugu how does that work and how do you use it?...any feed back from anyone would be GREATLY appreciate...Thanks a lot guys...
    Installer app usually indicates that it is jail broken.

glj

Well the reall indicator is that it goes passed the emergency call screen.

I'm not familiar with fugu either. usually most people install the ibrickr fix through installer on the phone and use ibrickr.. I think you would need to install the the fix anyways with fugu also, because it does the same thing with indepences app for the mac.

The most common way is to use "SSH" . just look up the walkthrough for SSH. Basically, it turns your phone into a mini ftp server. I use cuteftp pro. you can find the program free and a guide to install ssh and use it, if you search "iphone ssh" on youtube. the poeple that posts them usually post likes to download the programs in the description field. Just be weary if you do use this, its ok if you are jsut adding files, but be careful modding files, because you can really mess things up (you can always restore, but then you would loose all your apps that you installed. pretty hard to keep track of) and need to reinstall most of them.

Another thing, I suggest that you reinstall 1.1.3 with the phone in DFU mode (have phone plugged into computer, let itunes see it, hold home button and sleep button at the same time, wait till phone disappears for itunes, let go of sleep but still hold the home button, wait till itunes sees it again. The phone screen should be off the whole time from when the phone shuts off). Then hold (windows) shift, (mac) option, and click restore then select the 1.1.3 firmware (you can download it for the download section of this site at the top). Then run the ziphone to unlock, jailbreak, activate.

The reason for all this is because ziphone'ing the phone OTB will work, but for some reason, some of the apps won't install in installer (most common is BSD subsystem and is required by many other apps, like SSH), If you do this before hand, then it will save you alot of frustration.