Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Switching iPhones question

Default Switching iPhones question
    I have a 4GB iphone and my dad gave me his old 8GB iphone since he got an iphone 3G and when I called at&t they said I need to get a new sim card since its a 2G iphone. I don't want to be charged again to activate my iphone so I was wondering if I could just unlock the 8GB iphone and then switch the sim cards. Would this work or is there some other way of doing this?

Thanks

You have the sims, you have the phones, so try it
    To live, you have to lie

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It'll work.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i switched mine similar situation..just put the sim in the new iphone and pluged it into itunes and it saw it and activated it....i just did it again last night for my girlfriend ..put her sim in pluged it in and it worked took about 2 minutes....
    If I Helped You Hit The Thanks Button

I used quickpwn and unlocked it and then switched the sim cards and nothing happens. It still wants me to use itunes to activate it but it gets stuck at the verifying account step.
    After that I restored the iphone and switched the sim cards first and then unlocked it but it didnt go through the unlocking process when quickpwn finished.
    Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice9812 View Post
    i switched mine similar situation..just put the sim in the new iphone and pluged it into itunes and it saw it and activated it....i just did it again last night for my girlfriend ..put her sim in pluged it in and it worked took about 2 minutes....
    when you did that, did it make you pay an activation fee and were you using itunes 8?
    Last edited by strider0028; 2008-09-20 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

just to let you know, with the new firmwares (2.0 +) by just putting in a legitmate sim card (i.e, ANY AT&T sim card in America/ ANY O2 sim card in UK) will activate the iPhone at no cost whatsoever. It just works.

i don't use quickpwn so cant help you with the other things.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

okay how about this:

i have a 8gb iphone 2g (the one before the 3g) and my dad has the same one too (which he doesn't use anymore). my screen is cracked and i can only talk using speaker phone. So I decided to switch my sim card from mine to his old one. I went to at&t, and the guy uploaded all my stuff from my iphone sim to a new one. He told me to go home, attach my dad's iphone to my mac and reformat everything, then put the new sim in that one. I reformatted it, put the new sim card in and it doesn't do anything. It just stays on that same screen on the iphone saying please slide for emergency, and in itunes it tells me to activate it, saying it's going to cost me $45. I put my old sim card into my dad's and it tells me the same thing. Why aren't the sim's working on my dad's iphone? what should i do?

Thank you.