Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone internet via usb cable???

Question iphone internet via usb cable???
    i have a prepaid tmobile iphone. my edge doesnt work so i was wondering if i can get internet via my usb cable. if you do kno can you please give me instructions thankyou

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

no you can't. use wifi. what's the point of using internet on your iphone via a usb cable? just use your pc

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jtesnani View Post
    no you can't. use wifi. what's the point of using internet on your iphone via a usb cable? just use your pc
    Well... downloading stuff through cydia might be a reason for him to want it. Questioning someone's motives in this manner is just rude. Maybe he/she doesn't have wifi...

Sadly, I do think "Jtesnani" is right about the fact that there is no way to do this via USB, however he/she didn;t present it to you in the nicest manner.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you can interpret my tone however you wish by I don't see the point of being tied down with a USB cord when a mobile phone is meant to be mobile

The op may not have wifi at home but there are tons of wifi enabled/available places one can go to for internet connection, free or not

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

you can interpret my tone however you wish by I don't see the point of being tied down with a USB cord when a mobile phone is meant to be mobile

The op may not have wifi at home but there are tons of wifi enabled/available places one can go to for internet connection, free or not
    My point is YOU don't need to see a purpose. He made a request and a simple "no" would have been sufficient. And I don;t think I was interpreting your tone. The words you chose were enough...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

Kludge (2009-06-25)

you can... however it quite some work.

alk blog

So because YOU can't understand why we want to do this it's pointless? And your reply makes you look even dumber.

"Dur why want use cable? Ger?! U walk 20 mile to starbuk dum dum easy. Glurg do all time. Me smart."

If you don't understand the question fine, but keep the noise down, we don't need to hear your opinion; we're looking for facts not your useless opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    My point is YOU don't need to see a purpose.
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Asking "Why do you want to do something a certain way." Is a valid question but not when it's followed by, "And you are stupid if you want to do that because I am too stupid to understand it."

This will then be followed by, "Well if you don't want my help..."

Yeah, that's the point. It's not help. It's being a jerk. And you know it. So, if you can't offer your help without forcing the receipient of that help to justify his every choice then your help isn't wanted.

Thank you and good day sir.
    Last edited by Kludge; 2009-06-25 at 03:12 PM.

Thanks

Well, I see why he might need it, I was in a scenario where I didn't have wifi around for plenty of blocks and needed faster Internet on my phone , so I wanted to also do this.

Just because this method is useless or pointless to some doesn't mean others migj want to try this.

I am in a place where i only have interne through cable, and not wifi etc..

I just have to restore the iphone, and now i dont know how can i get my applicaiton and add on from cydia even the ssh etc.. i cnt install as no interent on iphone.

Can anyone please help how can i do it ? isnt their any easy wayt to use my computers interent via USB on iphone ?

thanks

This feature *is* actually absolutely essential for us too, for a simple, practical reason.

We're showing our app at a trade show next month (CES), and it's completely impossible to get Wi-Fi to work on the show floor (there's thousands of access points in a 100 foot range), and, even voice calls fail 80% of the time since there's too much congestion in a big trade show. So at ever trade show we end up spending thousands on a booth to promote our wares and all we can do is talk about it, never demo it, because the connection is so spotty that the app dies all the time and the visitors and press assume it's bugs in our app.

We have a hard-wired internet connection to PC's in the booth, so I want to have give the iPhone a hard-wired internet connection over the USB.

If anybody knows how to make this work we'd be willing to offer a cash bonus or a consulting fee to make it happen. It's pretty important to us.

OK smarty here is another excellent reason for wanting internet via usb. I work in a basement with no phone signal but i have a corporate computer with monitered internet. and i can plug in my Iphone via usb so if I could suck internet from the corporate network via USB that would open the world up for me.

Default Hotspot
    I have solution for this problem, instead of Internet Via USB, why not try making your Mac or PC a hotspot and share your Internet.

Mac Instruction:
    1- System Preference
    2- Sharing
    3- Internet Sharing
    4- from share your connection from (Choose the way your mac connect to the internet)
    5- to computers using (choose AirPort)
    6- go to Airport settings and change what ever u want. (for me I start without password the choose WEP 128-bit)

I face a problem at the beginning with IP settings but then solved when choose a static IP for my Airport in Mac (try without Manual IP 1st)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to monzt For This Useful Post:

Kalaharijack (2011-03-10)

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

^^ not a bad idea just make your computer the hot spot. Bravo lovely answer
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

I'm not techy, but at my home, my Iphone gets no wifi reception..
    so I "installed" the tethering app, the just used the
    iphone cable to connect it to my MacBook, then i'm on the net
    sometimes it works real slow, but I just installed proswither
    using this method..
    Best
    Dave
    PS: after you install the tether app, make sure you go into
    the Iphone setting (icon) and find the tether on off switch..

I also really need the internet through USB as my iPhone WIFI is not working anymore.
    Is there any way to do this?