Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will dropping my phone in water give me a restore?

Default Will dropping my phone in water give me a restore?
    At this point I don't know what else to do. I can't get passed error 1611. I've tried everything from iphuc to ziphone -e. With sim without. DFU mode and iBoot. Uninstalled itunes, and tried several different versions. I bought it from a shady T-mobile store so I can't goto apple. I've re-viginized a few times and it worked well for a few weeks, but always goes back to crashing. A few people suggested to try 1.1.3, and I did. It wouldn't take, and now I get error (1) when trying to go back to 1.1.1. So now I can't even virginize back to the 1.0.2 otb version. Any other suggestions before I take a bath with it?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

taking a bath with is wil break it.. but i know what you need to do folow this guide... thats what i had to do.....
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27454
    If i helped hit Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yeah, you just need to put it into DFU Restore mode and then restore, directions are in the guide julianhm2 provided there.

Thanks guys, I'd like to give it a try. But it kinda looks like you need to have the phone open to use that guide. My phone wont restore to any firmware, and that's the problem I'm facing. No matter what I do, it wont get passed "preparing the phone for restore." then giving me either error (1) or (1161).

Thanks

Have you tried to boot it with iBricka?

Oh yes, many many times. I know where it goes wrong during the restore too. After putting it in DFU mode, and shift clicking the FW I want to restore to, itunes usually then puts the phone into iBoot mode after extracting the software. Usually a spinner then comes up at the bottom of the screen and the restore begins. My phone wont get passed this point. The spinner comes up, but never makes it through one revolution before the phone restarts itself, eventually giving me the 1611 or (1) error. Anyone know what this means.
    Last edited by KatetheKitten; 2008-02-21 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks

Have you put it into restore mod, were u get the usb and itunes pic & connect to itunes?

Yeah tried it from that mode as well. I think it's pretty darn confused at this point, and doesn't know what FW it's running either. I just saw 2 messages in the scrolling text during ziphone that might help. One said "invalid calibration data." and another said I need a secpack file matching my FW in a folder. I haven't read about secpack and ziphone yet. Does it want a secpack in the ziphone folder? That's easy enough, but there's no way for me to SSH, or get in the phone any other way if that's what it was referring to.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhone1118's Avatar
    Thanks

have you tried to plug your phone into itunes, hold the top and home buttons until the screen turns black, then keep holding the home button until it pops up in itunes, then attempting a restore?
    I am the MacBook Pro

Yeah that's called DFU mode. The restore mode is called iBoot I believe. Tried them both, as well as with the itunes logo, and in normal lock mode. I tried to uninstall itunes, and started trying with versions as far back as 7.3.1.3. I've tried putting the phone in DFU, restore, and iBoot then uninstalling the phone in device manager, and replugging it so that usb recognizes it. I've tried on all 3 of our computers. Gonna try it from work on vista today. Thanks for all your suggestions, please keep them coming. If we figure this out, I vow to help any others I see with this problem.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ddfilms's Avatar
    Thanks

see if you can find someone with a mac, that has iTunes 7.6 put the phone in restore mode and try a full restore to 1.1.3, the use ZiPhone. I figure it didnt work with windows maybe it will on mac. Who knows. Hope it works.

The strange thing is it seems like ZiPhone -e is working. At least it goes through the motions. I'll need to check out the secpack thing, and see if that is possibly a cause. I guess I could find a mac if I tried, but I'd like to know that I can fix it on windows encase this happens again.

windoze is the worst and i had a friend who no matter what he did couldnt get his phone past where you are stuck...
    i ran a restore to 1.1.1 on my mac and it worked first try...
    screw windows for this... fix your phone and hopefully this won't happen again... and if it works with the mac then you know its crappy MS as usual

Thanks Mitch...I wonder if they'll let me do it at the Apple store? heh heh. Most of the people I know run PC's. That would really be bittersweet if a mac fixed this first try. But I kinda think I'm further down the rabbit hole then it really being that simple. The one good think that's happened is now I can get into the files with iBrickr. So I'm wondering if I can manually put in a new secpack. Anyone know if this will even solve the problem. I still can't restore, tried every FW, on every mode, in multiple itunes. One other error I can read on the scrolling text during ziphone -e is "ipodstack can't start need config."

same problem here

Water damaged phone's can cause many problems specially the iphone, one you can not remove the battery the second it fell in the water, so it will cause crossion, you're best beat is to take the phone completely apart, use 95% rubbing alcohol with a soft soft brisle tooth brush and start cleaning the entire phone first. Clean everything around the dock conector. After all of this i'd suggest trying to restore the phone again... If you didnt properly clean the water damage phone I can almost garentee you have corrosion inside caused by the water and battery.