Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Exchanging Iphone with Apple

Question Exchanging Iphone with Apple
    I have an audio problem that I just can't seem to fix, so I've decided t return my iphone to Apple and get a new one.
    The problem is that I've jailbroken and unlocked it.
    If I restore and virginize the phone will they take it? without being able to tell it was tampered with? Would they even look that deeply into it?
    Thanks
    Any help is appreciated

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

they most likely will ask for you ATT phone number to verify your account

the few people i know who returned jailbroken phones virginized and then activated an att prepaid account with 10 bucks on the account made a phone call and then synced the phone with the prepaid sim in it...

O. wow thats great to know. I think I'm just going to go get a prepaid sim real quick.
    When I do exchange it, they're gonna give me a new firmware Iphone.
    Is this unlcockable yet without a turbosim?

Quote Originally Posted by LordSati View Post
    the few people i know who returned jailbroken phones virginized and then activated an att prepaid account with 10 bucks on the account made a phone call and then synced the phone with the prepaid sim in it...
    So is a new 1.1.3 compleltly unlockable right now?
    Last edited by franklinromeo; 2008-02-21 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by franklinromeo View Post
    O. wow thats great to know. I think I'm just going to go get a prepaid sim real quick.
    When I do exchange it, they're gonna give me a new firmware Iphone.
    Is this unlcockable yet without a turbosim?

So is a new 1.1.3 compleltly unlockable right now?
    http://www.ziphone.org/
    3G jailbroken 2.2.1 w/ swirly MMS.

Do I just go up to an apple store and say "hey the sounds messed up". and get a new one?

Depends... Most likely, yes. Did you purchase the phone from Apple, or AT&T, or elsewhere? When you go in to exchange it, act really dumb about things. Remember, there is no mafia...
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

anybody in the UK had experience with going to the Apple Shop?

I have an issue I can't fix and bought my phone from ebay. I plan on going in and acting dumb.

I'll re-install the current firmware on it, if they ask where the simcard is, I'll say its in another phone so I can use it.. Other than that, I dunno anything

it really is that east. Follow the good advice from LordSarti (sorry if I misspelled it). Tell them that the sound quit working and they will more than likely replace it with no questions asked. Just keep your mouth shut and do not volunteer information that they do not ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by GenghisPhlip View Post
    it really is that east. Follow the good advice from LordSarti (sorry if I misspelled it). Tell them that the sound quit working and they will more than likely replace it with no questions asked. Just keep your mouth shut and do not volunteer information that they do not ask for.
    didn't work for me in my local store.. THey asked me where and when I bought it, wanted the contract phone number etc etc.
    I have an escalated query now, if it ends up fruitfull, then I will post details

Quote Originally Posted by llol_slim View Post
    didn't work for me in my local store.. THey asked me where and when I bought it, wanted the contract phone number etc etc.
    I have an escalated query now, if it ends up fruitfull, then I will post details
    does this happen in most pepples cases? Will they ask for information from me?
    p.s. I got mine from ebay... If they ask do i tell them its from an apple store?
    Last edited by franklinromeo; 2008-03-02 at 07:43 PM.

does this happen in most pepples cases? Will they ask for information from me?
    p.s. I got mine from ebay... If they ask do i tell them its from an apple store?
    well, they told me the only way they are allowed to let an iphone out of the store is if they see it being activated with itunes (i thought I couldnt suggest ziphone!!)

They are supposed to be contacting me tomorrow so if you can hold out, I can let you know afterwards...

Below is my story so far

**warning ... long post ahead**

When I had the problem with my phone and couldnt fix it (that being no sound from the earpiece and every suggestion for fies hadnt worked), I went to Apples website support, and typed in my serial number (etched on the back of the iphone) into the online suport assistant and chose the United Kingdom from the drop down menu.

It said that it has never been activated,
    Quote:
    Please note that warranty service is not dependent on activating your iPhone.
    The lady on the apple support phone line agreed with this, however when I went into the shop, they first told me that I cannot have a replacement as I need to activate it.. when I told them what the site said, they asked me to show them.. they obviously had no idea about this.

They werent too sure whether I could have a new phone or not as I wasnt on a contract with O2 and said it borders on illegal activity.

I pointed out that actually, no, it doesnt as it is perfectly legal to sell and buy a second hand phone and as it is software modification, I can, if he wanted me to, reset the software to out of the box, requiring activation, but then I couldnt have proved to him that the earpiece wouldnt work, and had I done this, he would be none the wiser.

He (understandably) said the only way I could leave the store with a brand new iphone would be to sign up to a new 18 month contract, they would take the faulty one and replace it with a new one..today (heres where I'm kicking myself) I asked him to see the terms and conditions..

I showed him that in the T+C is states that I have 14 days to change my mind and bring the phone back and cancel the contract.
    I asked him what would happen in that case as they also had my faulty phone, he didnt know and went and asked his manager wh obasically said that would be a gamble I would have to take. That wasn't happening!!

So the manager took my details and will escalate it up the line and get back to me monday.

I really think Apple have overlooked the second hand market, as my phone is still under warranty, and it doesnt actually void the warranty by unlocking the phone.

I'm really interested in the outcome of this, I'm sure it will be "no, you want an iphone you sign up to a contract" but I still think this might not be legal as in France and Germany they refused to accept the monopoly of being bound to one company and you can legally buy a phone without a contract.

The reason I'm kicking myself is maybe I should have just taken up the contract, got a receipt to say they took my old faulty one, and then within 14 days gone back and asked for the faulty one, knowing it would have gone back to be repaired, they would have had little choice but to give me a replacement

I have to say I am VERY impressed with the way I was treated, they were seriously cool guys and were never even remotely pushy, annoyed or didnt listen.

They deserve to work in such a quality atmostphere and I wouldn't have any qualms going in there for help or to buy something (other than an iphone!! ;-)).
    (Exeter store by the way)
    Sorry for the long post but I wanted to explain in case anybody else is thinking about it.

i returned mine successfully they swapped it out for a new one
    the guy looked up in the computer to see if the product was registered (not activated) and then went to take out the sim card but it was empty
    i said it was my moms phone and she had taken it out to use in her old phone the genius went to check with someone in the back if it was okay, came back out, gave me the new one and i was good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by adam_hussynec View Post
    i returned mine successfully they swapped it out for a new one
    the guy looked up in the computer to see if the product was registered (not activated) and then went to take out the sim card but it was empty
    i said it was my moms phone and she had taken it out to use in her old phone the genius went to check with someone in the back if it was okay, came back out, gave me the new one and i was good to go!
    interesting... what country are you in? And if its the UK, can you let me know which store this is? Might help my cause
    thanks

apple will ask for your number to verify its a at&t number, then they will start to trouble shoot your phone, and if they feel you didnt cause the damage they will replace it with a refurbed phone. if they get real bored they can hook up your phone and see if the baseband and osx has been modified

Just to verify, are you all saying that i don't need an appointment with Genius Bar or apple? I can just walk into the applestore and talk to a represenatative?

Also. I have upgraded my 1.0.2 phone to 1.1.1 and Unlocked/Jailbroken it.
    How do I completley virginize and restore it some it appears as if it's never been modified.
    Last edited by franklinromeo; 2008-03-06 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Just to verify, are you all saying that i don't need an appointment with Genius Bar or apple? I can just walk into the applestore and talk to a represenatative?

How do I completley virginize and restore it some it appears as if it's never been modified.
    in the UK stores atleast, you can go in, and use any of the computers in the showroom to book an appointment. There is a program called "concierge" and you can bok a slot.
    or you can go online and book it from the retail section of the site.
    The uk address for that is
    www.apple.com/uk/retail
    then on the left hand side of the page is the "make a reservation" and then choose the genius bar "reserve" and follow the propts.
    i assume the american setup is pretty much the same.

any input?

any input?
    for the first question, see my post above.

For the second part..

Open ZiPhone, click on "refurbish" and then use itunes to restore the firmware, at which point it will need activating.

does the iphone need a special prepaid sim card?( specifically for an iphone)

does the iphone need a special prepaid sim card?( specifically for an iphone)

?????
    Last edited by franklinromeo; 2008-03-13 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast