Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: need help error 1604...

iPhone? More like MyPhone iRoach74's Avatar
    Thanks
    Default need help error 1604...
    hey all!
    i had my 3g iphone on firmware 2.0.2 pwned and it was acting sort of "goofy" so i decided to restore it. but i got error 1604. this is the first time this has happened with my 3g. so then i put the phone in recovery mode (i think thats what its called?) and tried to restore it. i still got error 1604. now my fone is stuck either on the apple logo or connect to itunes thing. can anyone help please?

You will need to place the phone into DFU mode to restore. To do this:

1. Itunes running. Plug phone into computer and turn phone off.

2. Hold power button down for 5 seconds.

3. WITHOUT letting go of power button, now hold down home button for 10 seconds. (ie, both buttons 10 secs)

4. let go of power button, BUT CONTINUE to hold home button for 10-25 more seconds or until Itunes recognizes phone. The screen should be BLANK.

Restore.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

iRoach74 (2008-09-01)

Thanks
    still getting error 1604...
    anything else i could try?

I would completely remove/uninstall Itunes and reinstall it. Then try restoring in DFU mode with the original Apple downloaded firmware 2.0.2

Thanks
    i already reinstalled it once. but i guess ill try again...

i dont think im doing the DFU mode right. i did exactly what you said but it still says it found a phone in recovery mode.
    Last edited by iRoach74; 2008-09-01 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I don't know what downgrading a 3g would do but this worked for me on my 2g:
    1) uninstall iTunes. Install iTunes 7.5

2) download firmware 1.1.4

3) plug in and put phone in recovery mode.

4) shift + click restore. Locate firmware 1.1.4 and open.

WARNING: Have not varified with 3g users!

^^Not good to do on a 3G.

iRoach74, if you are in DFU mode the iphone screen will be BLANK when Itunes connects to it.

Thanks
    yeah i did that. i dont know what else to try.
    just take it to apple? i have no idea...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I would try maybe figuring out what the original 3g firmware is, and try restoring to that. Also, I dontkmow if your trying to restore with custom firmware, but I found (on my 2g) that it wouldn't restore with custom firmware untill after I restored with regular firmware.

Honestly your best option would be to try another machine that has never had itunes on the machine. Maybe like a friends, or mom or pops pc that only has aol... I had an issue like this with my 2g update to 2.0... Tried 1000 times on the same pc always 1604... Tried on my mother in laws slow pc and viola...

Good luck!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Try restoring to the original firmware version not in DFU but in recovery mode, when its done, quit iTunes, take sim card out and take iPhone into DFU mode, open iTunes and it will be detected in recovery(DFU) mode, then alt-click your custom firmware. This should work. It did for me!

Note: if you get a message when opening iTunes that says something like "Waiting for iPod" and then brings out your iPhone in recovery mode, before you restore and without quitting iTunes go to " users/"yourname"/library/iTunes/Device Support/..", if there is any file in there, move it to trash and empty. Go back to iTunes and Then restore with custom firmware from Pwnage.