Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My external speaker on my 1st gen phone sounds like chit, got my phone from ebay :(

Default My external speaker on my 1st gen phone sounds like chit, got my phone from ebay :(
    Anyone in the know mind telling me what options I might have?

It has to be a hardware issue, it sounds like crap, like waaaaay over modulated and crackly, no matter the source.

Can I restore and ship to apple without a receipt? I doubt it.

I looked into replacing the speaker myself, and it seems reasonably doable. Ivem odded several wii's and ps2s, and know my way around consumer electronics for the most part.

Found a parts shop with the speaker for only 30 bones.

Has anyone done this thyself? Is it hairy? The disassembly guide i saw made the phone look like it might require proprietary tools

Thanks for any help sirs and maams.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Given that your phone may be experiencing below average sound, and if that is the case, best of luck to you. However, typically the 2G speakers sound like "chit" anyway.

This has to be a hardware failure, its just sounds crackly and garbled to hell. It didnt sound like this at first.

I am watching disassemble guides, and am wondering just how deep into the process I need to go to replace the speaker, I know its a shot in the dark, but does anyone here know?

In the future, if anyone does a search because they have the same problem, use this link to buy your speaker, it comes with a free case tool, and its half the price of the other iphone parts stores I was browsing.

iPod parts, accessories and repairs, guaranteed forever!

I swear im not a viral marketer, just check my history

Ill take pics and post the surgery too, and by all means, if anyone reads this and has some tips on easily reaching the speaker during disassembly, please share!
    Last edited by Orecets; 2008-08-31 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost