Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Damaged Iphone 1st Gen; Recovery anyone? Huge story.

Default Damaged Iphone 1st Gen; Recovery anyone? Huge story.
    Okay, well I guess I saw this coming. For many months my iPhone was messing up. The Home button would intermittently stop working. I had to press it down many times to get to the Springboard.

So that meant I couldn't hard reset, go into recovery mode, or do many simple functions. I, fortunately,was able to find a way around going to the Springboard. If you lock your screen, tap the emergency call button and unlock your screen, you will be back in your Springboard. Also, my battery was getting WORSE than ever. A full charge to a dead battery would be in 3.5 hours. REALLY became tiresome.

So, to fix this problem of a home button and a new charging dock I, purchased a flex cable from eBay wishing that it could fix it.

I tried opening the iPhone, and quickly realized that this phone was extremely difficult to open so I decided to just leave it as it is.

However, a week later, my phone would not hold a charge anymore. I would have to position it a certain way to finally maintain a charge. I would have to monitor the phone to actually witness if the lighting bolt was showing, and from there, I would leave it there until it gained its full charged status. Again, TIRESOME.

Now, one day as I was positioning the phone, I thought I had finally positioned it the right way. I left my room, came back in an hour, and when I returned my phone would not turn on AT ALL, which led me to believe that it was NOT charging. I tried repositioning it , but I could not tell if it was charging or not since the lightning bolt would show up.

No charge+no home button=stuck.

So I finally decided to open the phone. I managed to take off the antenna cover, and the back cover. I took everything off until I was finally able to view the old flex cable. However, I searched and searched the internet in effectively removing the cover holding the flex cable and found nothing. Again, it was difficult and of course, I failed.

I ended up damaging the screen, bending many components of the phone which I know would make the phone worthless. So I seriously broke my iPhone, and I have no way to backup. I should have backed up, and I was always cautious about backing up, but for some reason, I neglected to do so

The PCB and the battery are still together, and I was wondering if I were to switch this pair by opening a functional iPhone (8gb since I have an 8gb), swapping them out, would it allow me to backup my data?

Any suggestions on recovering my data? Also, has anyone here been successful in terms of opening the iPhone without leaving a scratch on it, and having their data successfully backed up?

I thank this forum for any tips, suggestions, and I hope to finally get this figured out.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

No you're boned, give up and buy a new phone while hoping you remember more than you forget.

You want to open another phone after how the first one went? LOL! I'd skip that idea also.

I tell ya what though.... Anyone here that knows me knows I'm an electronics engineer. I'll try to do 2 things for you.......

#1- fix the phone. I know the screen is hosed, but the rest might just work. You'll just have to be a good guesser.

#2- recover your information. If I clean up enough of your mess to get the phone to fire up I can recover the data and mail it to you on a DVD.

There are only hackers here on MMI in software, I think I am one of the very few EE's here that design and rebuild hardware (not related to the iPhone, I work on Lexus auto electronics).

I'm in TN, you're welcome to PM me and get my addy. If you want to send it over I'll try for you - you pretty much have nothing to lose. PF (site owner) and Cash (site owner) know I'm an EE working with Lexus stuff. I might be able to help. (no charge)

According to you, your screen is hosed, the cables are torn out, the board components are bent backwards, home button broke, .... there isn't even a part on it worth anything. I'd be doing it simply in an effort to help recover your data, the phone and parts are worthless so nothing in it for me.
    Last edited by one1; 2008-08-28 at 08:54 AM.

You can always purchase a new FRAME; there is a company in London who sells them for like $120; with home button and wiring for the motherboard.

Google them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Yeah that sounds like a great idea...... buy a new frame for $120, then go buy a new screen for $185. I can see them running to jump on this already...........

.....all over a $25 flex cable.

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

i can voucher one1's work. He knows what's he's doing.