Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Returning 8gb for 16gb iphone question

Default Returning 8gb for 16gb iphone question
    Alright, so I have a 8 gb 1.1.2 OTB iphone, jailbroken at 1.1.3... I want to exchange this today at the apple store for a 16 gig iphone.. So I called up the store to make sure I can do it and they said yes... I would just need to come in, have the tech check out my phone and I can exchange for the restocking fee+difference in price... Now obviously I will do a restore through Itunes to get the phone to "new" status before I go in.. But is there a way for them to know if it still has been hacked/jailbroken, and thus not grant me the exchange? Has anyone here had success exchanging an 8 gig for 16gig , if there 8 gig was once jailbroken? Thanks for your help!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I have had success exchanging an 8 gig for an 8 gig after it being jailbroken and such. I noticed a dead pixel like a week after I got it. Once they saw the pixel they exchanged it. They checked the phone out and all. I have heard of some programs such as iblackjack that leave "fingerprints" in that some of the files remain after the restore, but issues have only been when the phone has been sent in. You will, in all likelihood, be just fine returning it and swapping it out for a new one, especially if you haven't installed many programs.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

I'd uninstall all the applications/games/etc then check the phone in iphone browser or winscp and clear out any files or folders related to what's been removed, then do the full restore to 1.1.3 in itunes. This should remove majority of all traces.