Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I prep a used iPhone to sell?

Default How do I prep a used iPhone to sell?
    Hi all, just a generic question, but I would like to sell my iPhone to upgrade to a new one but i'm not sure what I need to do in order to clear it of all of my data and settings?

My biggest fear is that I sell this and it still has my information on it. I'm also wondering when the new owner plugs this bad boy into itunes on their machine, will it be registered to me still?

Is it as simple as going out and buying a new iphone or is there something I need to do?

Thanks, probb a stupid question, but I want to make sure I do this the right way.

Well, this is really dependent upon how you plan to sell it. Will you offer it in a 'Pre-Modded' state? Unlocked? Or will you offer it as a stock factory set phone? At any rate, just delete all your personal info from the phone. Hell, if you plan to sell it with factory settings, then just restore it, and set up as a new iPhone (in iTunes) that will make it as if it were fresh from apple. Hope that helps.

Are you getting a new iPhone?
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 2008-02-12 at 06:52 AM. Reason: I have my reasons...
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

I would like to sell as if it were store bought (factory settings), so a fresh install and clean without any of my data. I like the idea of doing a restore with a fresh firmware version from Apple. After I do a restore on the device the next owner can just connect to iTunes and configure the device correct?

Alternatively, yes I would like to get a 16GB (mine is only 4GB), so after I get a new iphone, I can connect to iTunes and put my account on the new device without issues correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jkpown View Post
    I would like to sell as if it were store bought (factory settings), so a fresh install and clean without any of my data. I like the idea of doing a restore with a fresh firmware version from Apple. After I do a restore on the device the next owner can just connect to iTunes and configure the device correct?
    Are you planning to upgarde to 1.1.3 then?
    Yes, A new owner should be able to connect to itunes, configure as *their* new phone.
    you need to restore as a *new* phone.
    this then wipes out all preferences, etc., so that there is nothing left of *your* data

Quote Originally Posted by jkpown View Post
    Alternatively, yes I would like to get a 16GB (mine is only 4GB), so after I get a new iphone, I can connect to iTunes and put my account on the new device without issues correct?
    Problem is, when you conenct your new 16g, and try a 'restore', you may only get the 'New iPhone' restore data that you saved from the clean new restore you did on the 4g.

That's not a problem, I have all of my contacts, photos, information backed up so starting from scratch at 16GB is not an issue. I just want to make sure I can plug in a new device on my machine and transfer my AT&T account without an issue.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

The only problem you may run into is the serial number if you are on AT&T. I don;t know how they work this, but I do know for a fact that if you setup your account therough ATT they will have your serial (along with apple) registered to your nnumber and name. This may or may not be something that is overwritten once someone else goes to activate the phone. It is perfectly ok to be getting rid of the phone. I think the license sttes no resale, but you should be safe calling ATT and asking them if you were GIVING the phone to someone if they would run into any trouble with the activation process. Of course you would still sell it, not give it away, but this will help keep the ATT rep. honest
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings