Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bluetooth upgrade?

Default Bluetooth upgrade?
    Anyone have any idea if and when there will be an upgrade for the bluetooth on the iphone to enable file transfers with other phones and not just for pairing with headsets?

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

i dont think its possible sorry and i doubt apple will do because the reason they didn't add in in was to prevent some one uploading a virus to your phone
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Thanks

The bluetooth chip is most likely capable of doing it, but apple chose not to; doubt they would justify the transferring of songs over to other phones (it is illegal).

Quote Originally Posted by heath_rox View Post
    i dont think its possible sorry and i doubt apple will do because the reason they didn't add in in was to prevent some one uploading a virus to your phone
    Erm...No.

1. All my phones before my iPhone had Bluetooth, and I didn't get a virus.

2. It's harder to get hacking with Bluetooth than it is with WiFi; Bluetooth has a typical range of 10m, WiFi obviously exceeds that range greatly, and has more gaps in which it can get through. WiFi is a much bigger risk than Bluetooth, by MILES.
    So unless you have your Bluetooth turned on and you ALLOW a man with a computer stand next to you and LET him hack in, there is very little risk.
    Last edited by dale1v; 2008-02-10 at 10:52 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=dale1v;179651]The bluetooth chip is most likely capable of doing it, but apple chose not to; doubt they would justify the transferring of songs over to other phones (it is illegal).

Wouldn't be illegal if you just wanted to transfer a song to another iphone in your household, say your wife's, for example. Yyou are right appl doesn;t want this, but I would bet that it is more to keep you locked to itunes as best as humanly possible. All it would take is a third party app. There is no reason why the bluetooth would be incapable of transferring data, after all that's all that's really transfered on a bluetooth headset.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

transferring of songs is but you would think they would at least let you transfer pictures

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I miss bluetooth as well I can't beleive this $425 devise can't do what my $30 razor could but I am sorry to say I have been told by several developers from the installer repositorys that this is a hardware issue and something that can't be fixed by software maybe Geohots can get cracking on a hardware mod for this know

7. The Following User Says Thank You to justinwayne For This Useful Post:

bobsco (2008-02-10)

Thanks everyone. I think that the bluetooth version on our iphone is 1.0 when 2.0 would do everything we wanted. I was hoping to find out that because our phones are equipped with some kind of bluetooth, that it could just be upgraded to allow file sharing. Oh well. Maybe one day.