Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone and illiteracy

Default iPhone and illiteracy
    I think someone needs to do a study on what it is about the number of iPhone users that can't read and what they hope to get out of purchasing a device that has a keyboard for more than just numbers!

(I doubt there is a forum or even thread here that doesn't have a completely off-topic, ignorant comment in it from someone whose first post shows that typing on a PC keyboard is way easier than should be allowed.

MMI should require a solving a logic problem before accepting the submit button, like the proposals for preventing spam email.)
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NetMage For This Useful Post:

PrplHaz4 (2008-02-10)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

you wouldn't believe how many people get stumped and email me about the reg questions i.e.

2 + 2 equals?

and

Please type "fish" into the following box.

Thanks

Something Like, Define the annihilation and creation operators for the simple harmonic oscillator in one dimension, using either notation A and A+ (G3, p112, G2 p131) or a and a+ (L4 p193, L3 p201); answer and them submit.

Edit- Or maybe 2+2, that would prune at least 75% of the people.
    Last edited by sogo; 2008-02-08 at 08:23 AM.

Sorry to hijack your post, but how do you jailbreak and unlock an OTB 1.1.3. iphone?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alectra82 For This Useful Post:

NetMage (2008-02-09)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alectra82 View Post
    Sorry to hijack your post, but how do you jailbreak and unlock an OTB 1.1.3. iphone?

Quote Originally Posted by alectra82 View Post
    LOL

You messed up and said "sorry"!
    Pocket-sized Development

Thanks

My obervation is that the iPhone is probably the first device to be modded by the "masses". Having cut my teeth on mooding a Razr V3 then a V3i, most folks were a bit more technologically savvy. Many of the guides here are very clear but when you have someonw who probably has trouble programming their DVR then they undoubtedly will have issues.

Before taking the plunge with my iPhone I studied this and other forums for almost 2 months to educate myself on the issues. After successfully jailbreaking 1.1.1 then 1.1.2 , the 1.1.3 was probably beyond noob capabilities.

This said, there are also a number of folks who just dont have the time to spend hours looking up stuff. I have spent several 8 hour days searching for solutions, finding them, which many people dont have time for so they dont think twice about just asking. My feeling is if you don't have thime you shouldn't do it or you should pay someone

Then again, some of the questions are just so dumb I laugh my butt off.

Thanks

What's worse is when someone starts a thread titled "be nice to the noobs, or "let's make some sence" (illiteracy proven), and people ask us to put up with this BS . Then they say "we were all n00bs at one time". True, but I wasn't an ignorant n00b who couldn't use the SEARCH BOX. Yeah I hope you read this, you ignorant lazy fools.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    use the SEARCH BOX.
    Cannot emphasize this enough!

And read the forum descriptions, and start your own post and leave some details in it!
    Pocket-sized Development

Thanks

Maybe we should make folks take an IQ test ? I knoe that I have solved quite a few issues by reading solutions to other problems and applying them to my particular situation.

In my experience, most of the issues i have had with apps not working say, are because of permissions. So if I find a post about app "A" I might try that with app "B". 9 times out of 10 it will work.

If I cant find my answer here on MMi whether its bad search terms i plug in, I go to Google and usually find what I need. I learned this when having issues with anything whether it be PC, car, appliance, electronics, whatever. I learned that I got a faster and better answer by Googling than calling customer service or tech support anywhere, just to be insulted and told to "reboot my computer". sadly, most people are this ignorant about tech stuff. My oldest son who works at a big box electronics retailer (Selling PC's and cameras) comes home with all kinds of humorous stories about customers. The best was they guy wanting a camera and couldn't comprehend that it didn't take "film", or the lady coming in and complaining about her new pc running slow and wanting to return it becasue it must be broken (she hadnt put on any anti virus or anti spyware).

Whether its tech gadgets or even things like cars, when the use goes beyond the "enthusiast", bad things happen. Its people like that why these devices get dumbed down to begin with. its why cars have more features that will save your butt instead of encouraging good car control skills concentration and driving ability (I'm also a motorsports enthusiast) The dumbing down of equipment is why i got started on modding cell phones to begin with, I lost so many features that then Cingular removed from the Razr I resented it. The average Joe can't be trusted to even change simple settings or read an instruction guide, then when they F something up, its somehow the retailer's fault.

End of rant.