Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes, or manual file copy?

Default iTunes, or manual file copy?
    First post on these boards... .

Anyway, just a quick couple of questions... My 3G iPhone is the first Apple product I've owned, and I'm not new to soft-modding phones (had a soft-modded HTC TyTN running a custom Windows Mobile 6 before this). Having said that, you can tell my phone is already JB'd (FW v2.0.1).

I realize I am basically stuck with iTunes and its quirks (I will say, however, that Microsoft's ActiveSync is WAY better in the sync'ing department). So my questions are as follow:

Am I stuck using iTunes to sync my music, pictures, videos, ringtones, etc? Or can I just SSH into the phone, and transfer files faster through an SSH client? I haven't tried the SSH transfer method yet, assuming it's even possible, but I'm thinking it HAS to be faster than iTunes in copying stuff over. For a USB 2.0 connection, the iTunes sync is DAMN slow!

If not SSH, then can someone provide a guide in getting vsftpd configured to allow working FTP access? I'm pretty confident that it will definitely be faster than either of the 2 methods above. I've got the vsftpd package installed, but out of the box, it doesn't work, and I'm new to the UNIX/Linux side of modding, so am not sure what needs changing in the configuration file(s).

Can anyone answer my questions, and assist in getting the FTP server setup, please?

Thanks in advance!

**BUMP**

Does anybody know if this is possible?
    Last edited by kssxs; 2008-08-22 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Is there noone out there that knows whether or not this works?

No, you have to use iTunes to sync music. Even if SSHing the music into your phone worked (which it would not), it would be way slower. There are other programs that work with Apple products to manage music, but I am not sure if they work with the iPhone. I know they work with iPods.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lookatthemonkeys For This Useful Post:

kssxs (2008-08-26)