Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3g questions.

Smile iPhone 3g questions.
    Hello I'm about to get myself an iPhone 3g but I have a few questions about it.

If I buy it from my friend and he already activated it at the AT&T store and did nothing else to it, do I still need an AT&T sim card to unlock it and jailbreak it?; or I can just use my T-Mobile sim card to unlock and jailbreak it?; or it doesn't require any sim at all?

Second question, what happens if I buy an iPhone 3g from my friend who didn't activate it at the AT&T store? How would I activate it myself then? do I need an AT&T sim card or any sim card at all to activate it?

I don't know much about unlocking because I'm with AT&T, but I know the iPhone 3G is locked right now, so you couldn't use TMobile...

What that's bad to hear, but you could still use those special sim cards for them right? And anyone else no the answers to my other questions?

Thanks

right now, in the uk, you get any O2 sim card and put it in, it activates the phone.

in america, it should be the same, however i think the network providers over there monitor your usage and the phone your using by the sounds of it so at&t might try and force you onto a iphone contract.

that's IF america is the same as the uk.

and, no t-mobile for now...
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

I'm not sure why your friend wouldn't activate his phone is he signed up to a contract. Weird.

Anyway, you can use those sims, but they mostly suck, and risk damaging your phone

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    right now, in the uk, you get any O2 sim card and put it in, it activates the phone.

in america, it should be the same, however i think the network providers over there monitor your usage and the phone your using by the sounds of it so at&t might try and force you onto a iphone contract.

that's IF america is the same as the uk.

and, no t-mobile for now...
    Why would someone use a different sim if they're tied to an 18-month contract? Seems kinds pointless.
    Last edited by redcard; 2008-08-21 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    To live, you have to lie

No I'm just saying if I were to buy an iPhone 3g and it happens to be not activated. :P
    What are the best sim cards to make my T-Mobile sim card work with iPhone 3G? (YesSim, etc..)
    And are the DEV team working on unlocking it?

EDIT: Also would I be able to use the iPhone 3g like a regular iPod touch without the phone if I bought one and didn't insert any sim card?
    or will it restrict me from using the entire phone.
    Last edited by iarehenry; 2008-08-21 at 08:21 PM.