Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dead pixels?

Unhappy Dead pixels?
    I bought a used 4GB iphone for $200. No dents or major scratches. I did notice what looks like little green specks on the LCD. My buddy said they are dead pixels. Anyone else have this issue? I realize its the 1st edition iphones but I never heard of them having dead pixels so soon. How much time do I have before the phone is unusable?

Thanks

screenshot?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

I would but I dont know how to do that. You can see them when the screen is on a black background. They look like little tiny green specks of dust.

Thanks

They might be dead pixels. If you have firmware 2.0, you can take a screenshot by holding down the home button while clicking the sleep button, your screen will flash white. The pic is placed in your camera roll.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

mark1914 (2008-08-20)

They are not dead pixels , they will be Stuck pixels

1)Hot pixels (always on)
    2)Dead pixels (always off)
    3)Stuck pixels (one or two sub-pixels are always on or always off)

A stuck pixel will usually be most visible against a black background, where it will appear red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, or yellow, although stuck red, green, or blue pixels are most common.

Stuck pixels are often incorrectly referred to as dead pixels, which have a similar appearance. In a dead pixel, all three sub-pixels are permanently off, producing a permanently black pixel. Dead pixels can result from similar manufacturing anomalies as stuck pixels, but may also occur from a non-functioning transistor resulting in complete lack of power to the pixel.
    Last edited by plasma.d00d; 2008-08-20 at 09:37 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plasma.d00d For This Useful Post:

ASar08 (2008-08-22), mark1914 (2008-08-20)

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    They might be dead pixels. If you have firmware 2.0, you can take a screenshot by holding down the home button while clicking the sleep button, your screen will flash white. The pic is placed in your camera roll.
    I have 2.0.1.

Quote Originally Posted by mark1914 View Post
    I have 2.0.1.
    Same method

Just ssh into your iphone and grab image from

/private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/999APPLE

or connect to pc/laptop via USB and "open device to view files" in the pop-up window

Here's the image. You cant see the little green specks in the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo.jpg  

I don't see anything
    Try this again Stuck Pixel Fix for iPhone

Yeah, I cant see them in the picture either. I did the screenshot and emailed it to myself then posted it. Trust me they are there. I tried the Stuck Pixel Fix for iPhone but either I didnt let it run long enough or it didnt work for me. How long should I let it flash and run on my phone?

Tried the Stuck Pixel fix a few times. Nothing. I think I may have stuck some more pixels. I guess I can't send it to ATT or Apple because I'm not a ATT customer. Looks like I better start looking for another phone.
    Last edited by mark1914; 2008-08-21 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

First of all, you won't see them in a screenshot because they aren't in the picture, they are a physical defect in the screen itself...

And as for needing a new phone, the phone will work perfectly fine with stuck pixels. It's just a matter of if you can stand to look at them or not...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ahfunaki For This Useful Post:

mark1914 (2008-08-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ahfunaki View Post
    First of all, you won't see them in a screenshot because they aren't in the picture, they are a physical defect in the screen itself...
    I was thinking the exact same thing. The picture will always come out perfect.

Ok thanks. I guess I will just have to get used to it.