Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Well My 3G died from a phone call.. LOL

What's Jailbreak? thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 564 Posts

Default Well My 3G died from a phone call.. LOL
    Yes it is true... I was on the phone with Apple for over four hours today! What happened is this... I had it setting next to me on the couch and I got a phone call... the screen was locked when the phone call came in... I went to slide the slider and it was locked up... so I rebooted the phone and came up to the desktop once it got that far it locked up again.... so I tried to reboot it again and then it got locked up at the Apple logo...

I tryed rebooting it again and this time I seen ET... next to the ear hole in the phone was this little red light... I told Apple about this and this guy said he never heard of that before...

Another time went I went to reboot my vibration stuck on... and I could not get it to stop... once it stopped and tried to load then the screen was doing funky things....

I then tryed to get it in restore mode in which it took a few tries but got it to go into the restore mode.... once in there it would go though the restore process and get so far then I got error 6....

So Apple and I tryed the restore mode a few more times and each time I had to download the upgrade because the first time we tried it with the admin set as it is.. the second time we log in as a different admin... same error...

The third time I had to download the update I was on my IMac... once we tryed it on my IMac it gave me a differnt error... but this was after it restore the phone and was trying to boot to the desktop...

Once it got this far it went around and around... Apple logo reboot, Apple logo, reboot etc.. etc...

So to make the story short I have to send it in for repair...

And this all started with a phone call today...

Thanks

Did you put the phone into the DFU then try and restore?
    EDM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
    Did you put the phone into the DFU then try and restore?
    Yup tried that many of times... I could get it that far but what happened was when it went to restore the phone I kept getting errors... on my laptop I got error 6

On my IMac it was another error.. can't remember the numbers now... Apple and I got it to restore but once it got done it would not load the desktop at all.. all it would do is keep rebooting... and after four hours of trying to trouble shoot it... Apple said time to send it in...

The funny thing was when I seen ET the little red light next to the ear phone it would do that when it was hooked to my Macbook and not the IMac...

So off it goes as soon as they send me the stuff... I could drive three hours to go to a Apple store but oh well...

I just took the sim card out of it and put it in my other iphone.... good thing I didn't sell it! But I am upset about it all.. and the funny thing is we kept trying to get the update they released today... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Just ignore him^^

tooth, it sounds like they are giving you the firmware for the 2g (possibly touch!) rather than the 3g. Try downloading the 3g firmware directly from apple in the downloads section here and using the method of restore where you can choose your restore firmware. Choose the 3g firmware you downloaded.
    I am not sure I follow you... what we were trying to do it get the phone to restore and then upgrade it to the 2.02 released today through itunies... it would go through the motions of restore but would not boot up to the desktop... once it got to the Apple logo it started to reboot and reboot and reboot...
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 2008-08-19 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Die..

See this is why i dont even try to help.
    Zeal don't take it personally.... I am grateful for any suggestions...

I think this is funny but not at this time... my damn iPhone died from a phone call.... you got to admit it is funny! I rather think it is funny than to cry about it in which I really feel like doing... but as I stated I have my other iphone I am using until the 3G gets fixed...

Maybe it died like this because people were having problems with phone calls and the chipset.. that is why they released a update to fix it today... I was just to late to get the update...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Just ignore him^^

tooth, it sounds like they are giving you the firmware for the 2g (possibly touch!) rather than the 3g. Try downloading the 3g firmware directly from apple in the downloads section here and using the method of restore where you can choose your restore firmware. Choose the 3g firmware you downloaded.
    What he means is download iPhone Forums at ModMyI.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. - Downloads - iPhone 2.0.1 3g its firmware 2.0.1

Then hold shift and press restore and select that firmware you just downloaded
    EDM

Thanks

What he means is download iPhone Forums at ModMyI.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. - Downloads - iPhone 2.0.1 3g its firmware 2.0.1

K downloading it right now... don't really want to get to heavy on trouble shooting it in this area of the forum as we might get into trouble? I had 2.01 on it when this all started and was trying to restore and install the 2.02 today...

I will post in the iphone area what the phone did when I try what you guys are suggesting....

I was just sharing that my 3G died here and had to laugh at how it died...

Thanks

thread moved...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iphonejeff For This Useful Post:

thetoothfairy (2008-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Zeal has redeemed himself........ He's done other thing to himself too, but at least he kept it off the forums.

Thanks

im sorry to hear about your problems, but, the red light? did they shed any light on this, because i had this, then iphone shut itself off, then restarted and everything was ok.

i thought i imagined it until now. any ideas why the red light flashes?
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    im sorry to hear about your problems, but, the red light? did they shed any light on this, because i had this, then iphone shut itself off, then restarted and everything was ok.

i thought i imagined it until now. any ideas why the red light flashes?
    I do not know what the deal is with the red light.... never seen it before myself until it turned into a brick.... when I noticed the red light it was when it was trying to boot... when it was stuck at the Apple logo... I was surprised when I seen it and when I asked Apple about it he also said he never heard of it either.... if you look at your phone in the sun for a second... if you get it at the right angle you will see there are two tiny holes next to the hole where you talk... it was the hole that was right next to the ear hole and not the one to the left more....

Since it was so close to the ear hole I wonder if those holes have something to do with how you can talk on it.... I don't know it was just weird... never seen anything like it...

But the good news is I ended up today driving for almost two hours to the Apple store... (nearest one around me) made a appointment walked it explained what went on with the phone and the guy said.. you have had to much trouble with this phone let me get you a new one and that was that.... so now I have a new one again...

Thanks

i'm on my 3rd one already

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

As I had my problems here I have started to read more and more how people have had to taken their phones back for returns..... I can't image what the people go through when the mod their phones... as I have had enough problems already with the 3G...

With my new one.... last night I got a phone call while the phone was sleeping went to slide to answer it and thought I was going to lock up again.... I had a hard time getting it to reboot.. but was able to pull out of it...

Boy what a nice device but what problems with it..

At this time I am not sure if I should upgrade to 2.02 or just leave it at 2.0 and start installing my apps....

I was reading that Apple should have this mess all straighten out by September... for whatever its worth...

Apple Promises 3G iPhone Problems Will Be Fixed In September - Mobile Blog - InformationWeek

Thanks

i would recommend 2.0.1, then jailbreaking and installing all your apps. 2.0.2 sounds like garbage, just a mystery apple update as usual.

2.0.1 soughts out "some" of the lag in text and apps, but it's still there.

the iphone 3g in general, is rubbish i think.

i would love apple to bring out a "deluxe" iphone 3g, without the crap hardware inside of it

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    i would recommend 2.0.1, then jailbreaking and installing all your apps. 2.0.2 sounds like garbage, just a mystery apple update as usual.

2.0.1 soughts out "some" of the lag in text and apps, but it's still there.

the iphone 3g in general, is rubbish i think.

i would love apple to bring out a "deluxe" iphone 3g, without the crap hardware inside of it
    Well don't want to jailbreak it at this time because if something happens since 3G is so unstable then Apple won't take it back.... I have been reading about the 2.02 upgrade and many are complaining about it as well.....

When are they going to fix these problems and fix them right... Apple better do something fast or they are going to have the hole world after them... seems they are in a big mess right now..

I have the first generation iphone as well here and it was ok until I upgraded to 2.0... so I think it is the upgrades that are not right and the apps are not compatible with the phone....

When I talked to Apple the other day that is what he said as well... that they are having problems with the phones because of the calls and apps as they are third party apps...

So from now on until they fix this thing I am going to be VERY selective on what apps I want on my iphone and what apps I will buy in the future as well....