Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: what is ssh?

Default what is ssh?
    hi guys excuse me for being a bit slow but not techy
    anyway ive asked in previous thread how to get my edge working
    and some says ssh this to directory var/root/so on/and so on/
    but dont know what ssh is

if its a proggy im on windows vista if its any help

cheers

Thanks

SSH stands for Secure Socket Handler. It's not a program, its a background daemon. It allows you to wirelessly connect (log in) to your iPhone via WiFi.You need to first install OpenSSH from the installer.app before you'll be able to connect.

Then you can use programs like WinSCP, Terminal, Transmit, CyberDuck, etc etc... to connect and mess around with the filesystem.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Default SSH stands for
    SSH stands for "Secure SHell" it is way that you can securly log into a UNIX style system since a shell is the command line on UNIX style servers, which OS X is a UNIX or BSD varient.

SSH will allow you to both get a shell and copy files to and from your iphone. everyone is correct, that you will install this through the installer.app

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbridgman View Post
    SSH stands for "Secure SHell" it is way that you can securly log into a UNIX style system since a shell is the command line on UNIX style servers, which OS X is a UNIX or BSD varient.

SSH will allow you to both get a shell and copy files to and from your iphone. everyone is correct, that you will install this through the installer.app
    You're describing the program, not the daemon. They are two different entities. I guess the fact that their both called SSH is confusing you. But no matter, he gets the idea.

No There are two daemons ssh (secure shell) and SSL (Secure Socket Layer). You have to have both to be able to start the ssh daemon. Eventhough the SSL daemon is not required to run, it is parsed by the Secure Shell daemon, on start up.

Go read a UNIX book, before you challenge someone like that.

Here is more information on SSH than anyone would ever want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell

Secure Shell
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SSH" redirects here. For other uses, see SSH (disambiguation).

Secure Shell or SSH is a network protocol that allows data to be exchanged over a secure channel between two computers. Encryption provides confidentiality and integrity of data. SSH uses public-key cryptography to authenticate the remote computer and allow the remote computer to authenticate the user, if necessary.

SSH is typically used to log into a remote machine and execute commands, but it also supports tunneling, forwarding arbitrary TCP ports and X11 connections; it can transfer files using the associated SFTP or SCP protocols.

An SSH server, by default, listens on the standard TCP port 22.

An SSH client program is typically used for establishing connections to an SSHD daemon accepting remote connections. Both are commonly present on most modern operating systems, including Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris and OpenVMS. Proprietary, freeware and open source versions of various levels of complexity and completeness exist.
    Last edited by jimbridgman; 2008-02-06 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

No There are two daemons ssh (secure shell) and SSL (Secure Socket Layer). You have to have both to be able to start the ssh daemon. Eventhough the SSL daemon is not required to run, it is parsed by the Secure Shell daemon, on start up.

Go read a UNIX book, before you challenge someone like that.
    Ah, you mean the way you challenged me? I've been using Unix for quite a long time, likely before you knew what a computer was.

I have been a UNIX admin over 20 years now!!!! and in front of mainframes before that.

And I have worked for companies like Sun and IBM, so you want to keep this going?

Thanks

I have been a UNIX admin over 20 years now!!!! and in front of mainframes before that.

And I have worked for companies like Sun and IBM, so you want to keep this going?
    Haha, not really. You're not worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Ah, you mean the way you challenged me? I've been using Unix for quite a long time, likely before you knew what a computer was.

lol you guys are fogies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flopethedope View Post
    lol you guys are fogies.
    You be quiet you young whipper snapper.

Okay so he started out with, first, a very simple question and, second, stated that we was not techy and not one person really put in the effort to give him an answer in "non-techy" terms so he could really understand what it is and how he would use it.

As for you getting your edge to work. I would just call your provider and let them know you have an iphone that works with their service and need to get the edge service to work. That's what I did and I'm with T-Mobile. They was like, "Oh, cool!" Then connected me with someone that has a standard protocol for "iPhone users". They don't care if you have one. They are just glad you're paying them every month.