Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Turning off EDGE? It uses on its own!

Default Turning off EDGE? It uses on its own!
    Something went wrong to my iPhone today. I woke up this morning and when I looked at the Usage meter, the EDGE data transfer mysteriously increased by 30MB!!! WTF!!

It was only 2.3MB last night before I sleep. I remember I did check the usage meter last night because I wanted to see how long my battery has lasted for the last charge. And this morning, with similar intention, I happened to see my EDGE data transfer became 30.1MB!

I was like OMG what's wrong?! I began to worry and a few mins later when I go back to my phone to see the meter again, the EDGE usage jumped another 0.1MB. So it is actually using GPRS on its own throughout the night!

I have Wifi turned off all the while(and turn on unless I have to use it) because it often either heats up the phone or drains a lot of battery.

Has anybody experienced this before? oh man....30MB of GPRS is gonna be hell! The worst thing is I wasn't even using it and I don't even know what is it using for!
    This is only my 3rd week using this phone....

Is there anyway to turn off that bloody hell EDGE?

First tell us are you on At&t or t-mobile or other carrier. well i am using t-mobile and i don't have EDGE internet on my plan but still it show data on phone so i did this after searching on this forum, maybe there are other better way but what i did this. Go to settings>general>network>EDGE now in APN type buger, in username type anything just hit few keys.do same thing in password. press home button,now try connecting to internet.it will give you message something like you can't connect to EDGE or something BUT REMEMBER whenever you restart (turn off) your iphone,it will reset the settings and you have to do that again but until i don't find any better and easy way i will stick with that.I hope that help,cheer

Thanks for your solution.
    I am using other mobile carriers.

Seriously, I really wonder what is the application on iPhone that is connecting to the internet by itself without me knowing. I really wish to know what was it. My phone was at the springboard and nothing was running. Unless iPhone doesn't really quit the programmes when the Home button is clicked, then it could be another story.

This 30MB of data transfer is going to cost a bomb.

Thanks

Do you have automatic mail checking on? Any large files now in your mailbox? The phone would have needed to be in constant contact with a source to accumulate that much. Have you checked UIctl to see if there's any background tasks running that might be using the net?

By the by, you can turn EDGE off with the NetServices.app
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

dontevenfucwitme (2008-02-06)

You can also use BossPrefs to turn off Edge as well as SSH, Mailboxes etc in FW 1.1.3. A handy wee app!

I didn't have automatic mail checking turned on because I know it will definitely keep using my EDGE. So I don't see anything else that could keep using the Internet apart from Safari. But Safari can't be doing that because it was not even opened.

Is UIctl an app from Installer? I haven't tried this but would be good to know what is running in the background for iPhone.

I tried using the Services.app yesterday but its turning off of EDGE turns off my entire phone call service as well. The reception will go down and then No Service.

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

I have seen UIctl in the installer, what is it for, or do?
    Thanks

Thanks

Services.app or NetServices.app? There two different progs. Get the NetServices.app

UICtl allows you to view and enable/disable any background daemon that's currently running. Active daemons show in black, inactive show in red. Sometimes its good to see whats going on in the background for anomalies like this.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

The one I tried was Services.app. I read its description on Installer and thought it could do what I need. But it didn't really work very well. I will try NetServices.app.

I have also tried the UICtl. Pretty cool. Works like the Task Manager in Windows. It shows that all my things are running except two other third party apps which I installed from Installer that are in red. It looks normal to me.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I just type in the Edge APN setting "DISABLED" without the quotations.
    iPhone 8Gb Firmware Version 1.1.1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ;175368
    Services.app or NetServices.app? There two different progs. Get the NetServices.app

UICtl allows you to view and enable/disable any background daemon that's currently running. Active daemons show in black, inactive show in red. Sometimes its good to see whats going on in the background for anomalies like this.
    I must be missing something:
    I installed UICtl and I see com.apple.com etc. which actually means?
    Also the following:
    unload (I figure meaning stop)?
    unload -w (stop but not sure "-w")?
    stop (end)?
    Is there a way to change com.name.com to just the app name, like in Task Managers?
    Thanks
    JW

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    I must be missing something:
    I installed UICtl and I see com.apple.com etc. which actually means?
    Also the following:
    unload (I figure meaning stop)?
    unload -w (stop but not sure "-w")?
    stop (end)?
    Is there a way to change com.name.com to just the app name, like in Task Managers?
    Thanks
    JW

Anyone help me understand this alittle better?

Please thanks
    JW