Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: UK iPhone - Local and International Number Issue

Default UK iPhone - Local and International Number Issue
    Hi,

I have had an iPhone running 1.1.1 for around 4months anyways recently it went wrong and decided to restore itself via iTunes. As you can imagine this caused me no end of trouble in learning how to unlock it (i bough it from eBay so was previously done for me) etc.

Anyhow I am now up and running on 1.1.1 again.

However I have noticed this slight annoying "feature" of the iPhone which I am not able to sort myself.

If someone calls me and I have their number saved in the local format for the UK ie 07791 - then the callers name is displayed. Simple Caller ID we're all used to having.

If the person sends me a text message then in the Blue Bubble which alerts you to a new message it shows the number in the international format ie +447791

When I then load the SMS application it has grouped the text under the correct sender name.

It's only a slight annoyance, but thought now I found this website I may as well see if someone knows the answer.

I tried changing the number saved in the contact to the international format (+4477) which worked. The name was now shown in the Blue Bubble, however when that same person calls me the name doesn't show, just the number in the local format (07791)

Is there a way to fix this??

I just checked over at Apple.com discussion boards and apparently other UK iPhone users (legit O2 ones) do not have this issue.

The only way to fix so far is to save the contact with two number, one local and one international (but essentially the same number) - which is not right for a phone released in 2007.

Does anyone know of a better way to fix this??

Hi , you need to either upgrade using one of the many methods to get to a jailbroken 1.1.3 phone ( if you want that that is ) and it will be fixed. Alternatively look for threads on Appsupport , this is what matches the incomig numbers for sms and caller id. There are versions for 1.1.1 that will check 7,8 or 9 ofthe numbers in the incoming call and match them to your contacts. Incidentally - i used Nates method for getting to 1.1.3 but this didnt fix the caller id problem you are having - the Dev teams 1.1.3 upgrade did.
    Never knowingly understood.

Thanks for your reply.

I have no idea on the different methods, I know I used the method over at i.unlock.no

Couldn't tell you which method that is but it worked for me.

I did try to upgrade to 1.1.2 and was hoping to move on to 1.1.3 but I had some serious issues, so I've stayed at 1.1.1 for now.

I got to the point where I have 1.1.1 running
    Unlocked using anySIM 1.1
    Firmware 04.01.13_G

The bit where you install the Oktoprep software worked ok too
    Then the upgrade to 1.1.2 (manually) through iTunes worked ok
    I then ran the jailbreak.jar program which followed through to the end.
    However here is where the problem began:

The box came up on the screen saying that the iPhone will reboot a few times.

it rebooted once and then went back to Restore Mode with the iTunes logo and the Cable - but it also had the "Slide for emergency" along the bottom!

It stopped there and I couldn't go any further. It didn't reboot anymore like the tutorial (and the program) said it would or anything.

I had to comepletely restore back to 1.1.1 > Jailbreak > Downgrade Baseband to 04.01.13_G > Then restore 1.1.1 again > Jailbreak again > Then unlock using anySIM 1.1.1

It's taken me nearly a week to get to where I am now and I am nervous about trying to upograde the software again. I have tried three times to get to 1.1.2 and each time I get the above situation.

Could really use some help getting there though if anyone knows where 'm going wrong. Much appreciated for your post though, thank you.

you need to be on 112 or 113 for the name to come up when you get a text & the phone is asleep. Easiest upgrade is on hackthatphone.com . There is also a problem where you pick I'm phone format, but all numbers are in a long line, no seperation. I can forward the tutorial later if you want it, sorry but I'm typing on my iPhone
    1.1.3(DT) UK Vodafone
    102(w36)->111->112->113 (NT)
    All systems working

"
    Start Installer and install the package called Phone # to name fix located in the Unlocking Tools category (i.unlock.no must be added as a Source to see this category).
    "

thats taken from the iunlock website. cant remember the exact setting but when you setup it asks whats the longest number or something like that. pick 11. Sorry im not clearer but i did it a while back. should solve your problem