Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anyway to view MS Office docs other than thru email

Default Anyway to view MS Office docs other than thru email
    I have been trying to find a way to have some office dos on my iPhone and it just does not seem to be possible, am I missing something?

I understand I could email it to myself, but I don't want to have to keep an email with several docs on it forever. I just need a few reference files with me all the time if at all possible.

Let me know.

Thanks.

application "Files" from the appstore will allow you to put .doc .pdf. images, powerpoints and excell and more into your iphone and allow you to view them. Cost 7.99

Or you can jailbreak your phone and install a safari patch that will allow you to view .doc files

Or you can go with the app called MobileFinder in the App Store. Great app for $1.99. It also comes with a text editor. And with a jailbroken phone, you can open up the features of the program and work wonders...

Thanks I will check both of those out.

Okay yes I am a newbie, but what exactly does it mean to "jailbreak" a phone anyway??

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Jailbreak means you can get into the root file system and modify it, And also install 3rd parts apps, Basically makes the phone totally customizable

So with MobileFinder, it looks like the desktop PC needs to have WiFi access is that correct or not, as I don't have WiFi here on this desktop??

Quote Originally Posted by Pcpro745 View Post
    Jailbreak means you can get into the root file system and modify it, And also install 3rd parts apps, Basically makes the phone totally customizable
    Might be dangerous for me to have that capability.
    Last edited by Cue-ball; 2008-08-15 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Nope you dont need WIFI access, MobileFinder allows you to use a file explorer on the iphone, But you can also browse the iphone remotely with SSH and WinSCP or Cyberducky, Jailbreaking your phone is awesome if you know what your doing.

Thanks

There's also FileMagnet which is great if you have a Mac.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Running a PC here.

I guess for $1.99 if it does not work out well I can just delete it, won't break the bank or anything.

Just like to know what I am getting into before I jump so to speak.

With MobileFinder does it actually hold the docs on the phone as I have limited signal at the house and other places that I might need a document so I need to have them available even with no cell service.

Thanks alot for the help guys I will keep you posted.

Oh and jailbraking is not for me I really don't know what I am doing and I am sure my phone would never work again (LOL).

Thanks

Yes it holds the docs on the phone

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pcpro745 For This Useful Post:

Cue-ball (2008-08-15)

Well crap, it says that the PC must have a wireless card to be able to create an ad-hoc network.

I guess I could transfer the files to my laptop and then to the iPhone, but just one more step to take.

Oh well I can try it at home I gues with my WiFi there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcpro745 View Post
    Yes it holds the docs on the phone
    Cool, now I just need to figure out the WiFi deal and I should be good to go.

The files are reference files and don't really change much so I only have to deal with getting them on the phone once in a while.

Mostly network ip info and such like that.
    Last edited by Cue-ball; 2008-08-15 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

A. Filemagnet MAC App Store
    B. File Uploader (Download to MAC)
    C. Connect iPhone to local WI-FI Network (Same WI-FI Mac is connected to.)
    D. Voila!

FileMagnet on your iPhone reads .DOC, .PDF, .RTF and ETC.

Thanks

Bookshelf from Appstore will also read everything but PDF
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

will any of these apps let me edit things in the excel like I bought this excel thing for a workout program and you enter in your reps/sets/weight...etc. and it keeps track of everything...etc so will i be able to input that information into the excel with one of these programs? if so which one should i buy?

---------
    please someone!
    Last edited by the_bay_mafia; 2008-08-16 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Please thank me if I helped you! ---------------------------------->

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help.

Once I got my network back up and running at the house I was able to connect and transfer the times with no problem.

The Ad-hoc network thing did not work for me, but connecing both the iPhone and the laptop to my wireless router at the house was the trick.

Thanks.

Dirk