Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G vs Concrete.. guess who wins? UGH!

Default iPhone 3G vs Concrete.. guess who wins? UGH!
    Long story short I was helping a buddy of mine with his car yesterday, phone rang, I go to answer my phone rather than just ignoring the call & the iphone slips out of my hand on to the concrete floor Knowing that all I have on it is the Anti-glare screen protector I was sure I had a dent or scratches. Nope.. much worse.. cracked the damn screen Everything works & the film kept everything together (could have been MUCH worse) but damage is enough to p!ss me off.

I was debating on putting it on ebay to see what I can get for it considering it still FULLY works, it's already pwned on 2.0.1 & it's a 3G 16GB iPhone. Maybe I can get enough to put something towards another. My other option was to see what my Apple connects can do for me but they've been getting harassed by corporate for swapping out damaged iPhones. Oh well.. thought I'd share my story & share some wonderful pics

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

owwwwww...that looks like it hurt man....you should be able to get quite a bit for it on ebay even though the screen is cracked. My cousin sold his 1gen with a cracked screen on ebay and he got 350...this was when the 3g first released. it cant hurt to try man
    waiting on my iPhone 6+

Quote Originally Posted by nycdiplomat View Post
    owwwwww...that looks like it hurt man....you should be able to get quite a bit for it on ebay even though the screen is cracked. My cousin sold his 1gen with a cracked screen on ebay and he got 350...this was when the 3g first released. it cant hurt to try man
    I know I think ebay may be my best option since I found another 3G iphone w/ a much larger crack going for $430 with a day to go in the auction. The phone works flawless but I can't get past the screen nor do I want to prepare for any possible future problems.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Have you looked for screen replacements?

I know a kid who bought a 1st gen iPhone online for $30 because the guy cracked the screen. He went online, found a $15 screen replacement that was easy to install and got a brand new phone pretty much for less than $50.

dood, take this facetiously, but still, for $10 on ebay, you can get a pretty damn nice phone case. mine has met all sorts of floors and concrete with not a scratch because the case protects it. I love my iphone, and would never leave it unprotected. Plus, the one i got has a couple slots for credit cards, id and a couple dollars, so its like a wallet with my phone in it. just dont sit on it though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    well, if your feeling adventurous and are confident about your mechanical skills, then you could always just fix it?

iPhone 3G Front Panel - iFixit

Thats what i would do. Did the same thing, bought a 3g with a shattered screeen for 90 with a case and headset and whatnot, bought the new screen for another 100 and put that sucker on myself. had a buddy do the jailbreak for me (if i could have unlocked it i would have kept it for myself since for now i can only use the 2g =[ and sold just the phone for 700.00$. not bad right? of course ive been tinkering with electronics for a while, but seriously. As long as its just the screen and NOT the touch sensors and everything else works fine, just repair it. its not that bad.