Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Main Script Execution Failed" solution for 1.1.3

Default "Main Script Execution Failed" solution for 1.1.3
    In my case the failure was due to the 'mobile' user not being able to extract files to /Applications. By default the folder had 755 permissions which resulted in a no permission failure by Installer. When I changed permissions to 777 I still couldn't extract to the folder due to an out of space error even though I had enough space, very odd. To fix it I created a new Applications folder at /private/var/mobile/Applications and created a softlink at /Applications. This is similar to what the BossTool does.

Use the following commands at your own risk. It worked for me but I can't make any guarantees that it will work for you.

Connect to your phone using ssh (putty works on windows) then execute the following commands.

mkdir /private/var/mobile/Applications
    chown mobile:mobile /private/var/mobile/Applications
    cp -r /Applications/* /private/var/mobile/Applications
    mv /Applications /Applications.old
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Applications /Applications

Verify your phone and apps are working correctly. If installer and other apps are working then execute the final step.

rm -rf /Applications.old

The step above deletes your original Applications directory and frees space in your OS partition.

Certain applications will not install because they attempt to use /private/root/Media. These apps need to be updated for 1.1.3 but for now you can work around it with the following command. It gives the mobile user permission to use the root user's Media folder.

chmod 777 /private/var/root/Media
    Last edited by Sigma4Life; 2008-02-01 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Added putty info

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sigma4Life For This Useful Post:

birzno (2008-04-05), chris52204 (2008-02-09), Phroggyboy (2008-03-14), samuelranjit (2008-04-05), senbei (2008-02-09), zoblue (2008-02-18)

Thanks for your help,
    I've been trying to do this via fugu on a mac, but only the makedir command can be executed at console. the other lines all give error syntaxes (e.g. you must supply a numerical argument to the chown command) Any help? Thanks again

I don't have a mac but I found this here:http://iphoneunlockingtools.typepad....one/index.html

I believe you have to replace "dottie" with "alpine" as the root password.

Instead of using putty, on Mac open Terminal ( Finder - Applications - Utilities - Terminal ) and
    type this to login to the iPhone (for this example the iPhone IP was 192.168.1.101, so use your iPhones IP in your case):

* ssh -l root ( 192.168.1.101 )
    * Password: alpine
    Last edited by Sigma4Life; 2008-02-01 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Removed Doublepost

Thanks man, you've been a big help...I tried your method and I ended up with a newer version installer, but I still get the "Main Script execution failed" message?
    This is killing me, and it's eating me up inside, it's like a challenge and I don't wanna just give up and restore to 1.1.1 and try the 1.1.3 upgrade again! I have to beat it!!!

Does anyone know:

1. How to fix the main script error?
    2. How to delete Installer manually via Fugo? I can't delete the folders despite their contents being deleted. I want to install a fresh version.

My previous solution was a workaround. I believe I have discovered the true fix for the main script execution failed problem.

The Installer executable isn't set to run as root. I just ran the following on my phone and now every package I try to install works. Using the fix above I was not able to install certain packages, such as Summerboard. Now everything I try to install works just like with 1.1.2.

ssh into your iphone as root/alpine

chmod ug+s /Applications/Installer.app/Installer

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sigma4Life For This Useful Post:

drunix (2008-04-26), FNFurious (2008-04-07), guitarist9189 (2008-03-14), jrentzke (2008-03-27), Phroggyboy (2008-03-14), theone77 (2008-03-06), zoblue (2008-02-17)

I know I shouldn't have run that command. Any way to reverse it out cuz that makes my installer crash now. It was working prior to that command.

There appears to be no fix to this Main Script error that I can see.

iPhone? More like MyPhone techgirl's Avatar
    Thanks

Worked for me! Thanks Sigma4Life. Are you a member of Phi Beta Sigma or does your name mean something else?

Techgirl at your service... Modding MyPhone since Day 1!

AIM: lindseycholmes
    Facebook: lindseycholmes

iPhone? More like MyPhone chris52204's Avatar
    Thanks

Amazingly this worked for my phone. Thanks Sigma4life

I'm a noob, i need instructions on how to do this

Thank God/Sigma4Life, it works! :-)

Is there anyway to do this without using WinSCP or a SSH client because when I try to connect to my iPhone with WinSCP it doesn't connect, and I get the error "Network Error: Connection Refused"

Does it matter if the wireless network I'm currently on is password protected?

edit: I can't get OpenSSH onto my iPhone because I get the executuion failer message when I try to install it.
    Last edited by BenJaymin; 2008-02-10 at 12:56 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma4Life View Post
    My previous solution was a workaround. I believe I have discovered the true fix for the main script execution failed problem.

The Installer executable isn't set to run as root. I just ran the following on my phone and now every package I try to install works. Using the fix above I was not able to install certain packages, such as Summerboard. Now everything I try to install works just like with 1.1.2.

i have WINSCP, but i dont know how to ssh into my phone...do i use VT Terminal 100 and type from the phone itself, or do I execute it on the computer?

thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma4Life View Post

i have WINSCP, but i dont know how to ssh into my phone...do i use VT Terminal 100 and type from the phone itself, or do I execute it on the computer?

thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone chris52204's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry but this method worked for about 30 minutes and i was back to the same freakin error. So now heres a solution that fix this problem i was having. I was getting this error because I didn't use the official dev teams 1.1.3 upgrade. I used the other upgrade from 1.1.1 straight to 1.1.3 and it kept giving me this error. If you did the same thing I recommend downgrading to 1.1.1, then upgrading to 1.1.2 using oktoprep, then upgrade using "Official upgrade" by the dev team to 1.1.3. Also if you have trouble upgrading to 1.1.2 and get an error, then upgrade your itunes to the newest version and it should fix that too. I kept getting an error when trying to update to 1.1.2 and that is why i jumped from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3, which I recommend not doing or else you get this main script execution error.

worked perfectly, thanks sigma.

So I guess, there's no way to fix this without using SSH or downgrade and starting from scratch. Man, that's gonna be a loooooong process. Oh well.

OK I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING. Here is what I have deduced.

There are two versions of Installer.app floating around. The one that I got to work is from the "AppTapp Installer-3" Mac application which I browsed and found the "Installer.app"

Then I did the chmod +s etc thing found on that youtube video and it is bloody working! The version of the Installer.app on this site looks completely different (i.e. it has a different icon and appearance on the iphone) and I don't know why but I think that is the cause of the confusion. I put the installer.app that works on my server...

http://pages.suddenlink.net/micellem...3thatworks.zip

After you put this on your phone by using the customize feature on Independence, use terminal to do the ssh deal

YAY!

I just bought my ipod today and did the works with independence. it is running 1.1.4 and after finally installing this installer.app and changing the permissions (using my manually installed BSD) it works.

thanks a lot sigma, works great!

um, where do u type that command in...coz i did something wrong, and now installer doesn't work....help...my problem was that safari wasn't saving cookies, but installer wouldn't let me install the fix coz of the script execution failure....so i tried ur fix...now it's just messed up....can u please explain a bit more coz i'm not too good at this stufff.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast