Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.1.3 Dev Update Bricked my phone... Please read.

Default 1.1.3 Dev Update Bricked my phone... Please read.
    I updated my phone from a jailbroken 1.1.2 via Installer. I used the new version of the Dev team 1.1.3 update. It isntalled the update icon, and after running it, my phone said connect to iTunes. When I do this, i'm getting a message from iTunes telling me that my phone may be damaged, and needs to be returned to the Apple store.

I can't get the phone to boot via iBrickr/Independance/1.1.2 jailbreak methods, and I can't get the phone to restore, because iTunes recognises it as damaged. Can someone please help me out?

try starting the phone in recovery mode by holding down the sleep and home buttons simultaneously. Once the screen turns black, let go of the sleep button but keep holding the home button. Then connect to itunes and do a restore.

By the way, this is the new version of the Dev team update. I've read other places that a few other people are having this problem, but no matter what I do, I can't seem to get a restore.

Also, this doesn't seem to put me in recovery mode (the holding down both, the letting go of the sleep button).
    Last edited by Piazza331; 2008-02-01 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hold down the power button + home button for like 10 seconds once the screen goes completely black let go of the power button. Keeping holding the home button though iTunes should recongize it as in recovery mode.

iTunes won't recognise the phone in recovery mode.

Make sure you have the appropriate software version already available on your hard drive. In my experience, restoring 1.1.3 always fixes any software issues, but I use AT&T so keep that in mind.

If you are having trouble starting in recovery mode, i would try ibrickr to try rebooting the phone. It can be touchy sometimes, but if your phone is recognized by the computer there is still hope.

After starting in recovery mode, hold shift, and click restore in itunes. Locate the appropriate software, and open. This should get the phone restored to at least semi working order. You might have do get the lockdownd file transfered to the phone to get your service working again.
    Last edited by wine_guy; 2008-02-01 at 09:41 AM.

Alright, I tried an apple method. I shut down the phone, and then turned it on while holding only the home button. While doing this, I plugged the phone into the computer, and it got iTunes to recognise the phone in recovery mode. I just restored via shift+click to firm 1.1.2. So I'm not even jailbroken, but at least the phone is working.

can anyone explain why the new dev update tried to kill my phone?

Quote Originally Posted by wine_guy View Post
    Make sure you have the appropriate software version already available on your hard drive. In my experience, restoring 1.1.3 always fixes any software issues, but I use AT&T so keep that in mind.

If you are having trouble starting in recovery mode, i would try ibrickr to try rebooting the phone. It can be touchy sometimes, but if your phone is recognized by the computer there is still hope.

After starting in recovery mode, hold shift, and click restore in itunes. Locate the appropriate software, and open. This should get the phone restored to at least semi working order. You might have do get the lockdownd file transfered to the phone to get your service working again.
    Do this and maybe follow this guide. I just used it so I know it works.

Tell me if you have any questions. That guides really detailed and start foward.

Yah mine just did the same thing! Downgrading now! hopefully!
    Last edited by GimpedT; 2008-02-01 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Damm, I just did the "Official DevTeam Upgrade" following everything to a T, but forgot to click yes for "Hacktivation option". But after the process finished, it looked perfect. Checked the version, and it said 1.1.3!
    But then all the sudden, I got locked out!!! asking me to connect to iTunes.
    it goes straight to the activation Screen! You can see that I'm Tmobile, still able to recieve incoming calls. How do I fix/activate??? Pls Help!
    I'm I bricked?
    Where did I go wrong???
    Damm, I think I forgot to click "yes" when it asked me if I wanted the hacktivation option.........
    Pls help!

downgrade to 1.1.1 and soft upgrade using NateTrue's method. The Bosstool fixes most of the issues with Nate's except DRM which i'm sure will get its fix soon.

I had the same problem. Didn't say yes to the hacktivation option neither. I couldn't get to the restore mode the usual way but iFuntastic did it just fine. I am downgrading to 1.1.2 now