Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Once again, I'm back on top

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Default Once again, I'm back on top
    I love being old school. We used to have to hand code everything without relying on customize programs and patches. (you guys know what I'm saying, the ones reading that believe command line and SSH are the only way to fly).

When 1.1.3 came out I had hand coded and set permissions for each individual item on my phone. I'm talking apps, graphics, badges, batteries, carriers, ringtones, anything and everything until I had a phone that was not stock on any single file. Hacked to hell. I was one of the first here to have over 90 apps all working together in harmony with no conflicts, crashes, or parse errors. It ran so well that I never upgraded past 1.1.3, no need to, no extra features or stability issues.

Well the time came last night for me to jump into 2.0 finally after sitting on 1.1.3 for over 6 months. I have read all the issues, crashes, problems with 2.0. WIFI, mail passwords, customize and cydia, and everything else that is being complained about. I was skeptical at first thinking these really were issues, but I remembered back to the last few firmwares when everybody said the same things they were saying now. It's all in how you install it........

The only way I got 1.1.3 to run 90+ apps, and customized every single graphic and string while being 100& reliable (and I mean 100%, never an issue) was to hand code the entire phone with cyberducky and a lot of spare time, putting each individual theme, badge, app and whatnot in one by one and setting permissions on it one by one.

While time consuming, doing it "right" eliminates all these conflicts people are having. I am back again today after an all nighter of hand coding my phone on the new 2.0 and I'm proud to say I have yet again 90+ apps all working together, every string, sound, badge, image, and theme is again hand coded into the phone and there are ZERO issues.

No problems with installer, cydia, mail, nothing. It's working 100% perfect just like 1.1.3 did and there is not a file left untouched. NOWHERE on this phone is "customize" or "patches".

I am writing this in an effort to help encourage the community to learn the old school way. Nothing good is easy. These quick fixes create problems, conflicts, issues with permissions, etc...... We will cut down on all these "help! my "-------" doesn't work" threads if we all learn to do things right, which may equal the hard way, but will eliminate conflicts and issues once and for all.

Here's to the old schoolers that hand code everything into their phones and never have any issues or conflicts. Let's teach the newbs how to do it right the first time and eliminate problems.

90+ apps, custom sliders, badges, carriers, themes, icons, sounds, and never an issue on 1.1.3 .......... and now doing it on 2.0.1

Could you list the 90+ apps you have running on 2.0? I'm having trouble finding that many useful apps in Cydia.....

Thanks

I'm not using Cydia or Installer. I just had those two installed (from pwnage) because I needed a source for SSH (which I got off Cydia). Otherwise I have not used any download sources for any apps. I did however install winterboard to allow theme switching, but uploaded the themes through SSH.

Here are some screens to give you app suggestions. Currently showing 89 apps. I just got it set up early this morning so I am going to spend a few hours setting up my custom theme (collaby in the downloads section) so my icons all match my home screen. They just need to be renamed to reflect the app store names.

...and my home screen (last photo) which I keep a certain way since the days of 1.0.2
    Last edited by one1; 2008-08-12 at 10:53 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Nice.

So what did you exactly do? I see you SSHed your theme, some icons, probably some apps or downloaded from appstore or cydia etc... What did you do with the strings?

Thanks

Editing springboard strings was the hardest. Like where you'd be on your lock screen with a slider and instead of slide to unlock I have "come on in" for example. It's done the same way on 2.0.1 as it was on the other firmwares, you just don't have customize to do it for you. The file locations are pulled off the phone with cyberducky, edited with an external editor, and reloaded with cyberducky.

P.I.T.A to say the least, but I've never done anything the easy way because there is always something that screws up with permissions issues, or conflicts with other programs when you depend on a certain program to install things a certain way to that program.

I did the carrier, battery, sliders, boot logo, the part that flashes behind the text on the sliders, everything by using SSH and putting it in one by one and making sure the permissions were correct on each file. As stated before, nothing you see (not a single app) was downloaded. It was all put in by hand and permissions set for each one. Keeps from having conflicts later on.

Could you post the theme/icons you're using please? Specifically, the ones on this screen:

Thanks

"collaby" in the download section as stated in post #3.

Being the picky azz I am I made my own theme. It's only using stock icons for the rest because it is 2.0 apps and the theme was made for 1.x.x. I'm doing the 2.0 changeover tonight for the icons. if you see the whole theme (download it) you'll know how it is supposed to look when you see the icons included.
    Last edited by one1; 2008-08-14 at 05:28 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

bdawg923 (2008-08-15)

Thanks

Looks good one1! I too like sshing into the phone and making sure the correct permissions or set, the phone runs smoother.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

That is awesome man! Props to u!

Thanks

More 2.0 code hacking tonight.

- Yellow signal bars
    - Slider string now reads "be a quitter" rather than "slide to cancel"
    - Black slider
    - New battery charge icon
    - Faded white to gray (moving) text mask

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

so you pay for all those apps? =]
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

"Editing springboard strings was the hardest. Like where you'd be on your lock screen with a slider and instead of slide to unlock I have "come on in" for example. It's done the same way on 2.0.1 as it was on the other firmwares, you just don't have customize to do it for you. The file locations are pulled off the phone with cyberducky, edited with an external editor, and reloaded with cyberducky."

Thanks for the theme, and could you post the location of the Springboard strings on the iPod/iPhone?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

What external editor do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by bdawg923 View Post
    "Editing springboard strings was the hardest. Like where you'd be on your lock screen with a slider and instead of slide to unlock I have "come on in" for example. It's done the same way on 2.0.1 as it was on the other firmwares, you just don't have customize to do it for you. The file locations are pulled off the phone with cyberducky, edited with an external editor, and reloaded with cyberducky."

Thanks for the theme, and could you post the location of the Springboard strings on the iPod/iPhone?
    Nevermind, I found it. Could you share your battery though?

Edit: Found that too!
    Last edited by bdawg923; 2008-08-16 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdawg923 View Post
    Nevermind, I found it. Could you share your battery though?

Edit: Found that too!
    My ONLY resource is the MMI downloads section and WiKi. between those two you need very little of anything else.