Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stuck on "Incorrect SIM" screen, 1.1.2

Default Stuck on "Incorrect SIM" screen, 1.1.2 -- SOLVED!
    Long story short, I tried this method, got 1.1.2 installed after oktoprep, ran the jailbreak, and it's just not getting past the "Incorrect SIM" screen.

I've gone through the whole process half a dozen times (that's a lotta hours). Is there a way to FORCE past this screen? Is the jailbreak just not working? Any advice appreciated.

Pretty sure the phone is a 1.1.2otb, since I got the phone replaced at the Genius Bar a few months ago. Not unlocked, I've always been an AT&T customer. Baseband is 04.03.13_G, no idea what version the bootloader is. Restoring to 1.1.3 works fine, but of course my goal is to jailbreak it. Heppabruddaout!

[UPDATE!!] -- Thanks to the perseverance of Nightkeeper62, it looks like we've got a solution. He kept plugging away at it, and found a method that works. Basically, I think the copy of iNdependence beta I had download from Google Code was corrupted somehow, so it wasn't booting the phone successfully after jailbreak. And using iBrickr didn't force the phone to reboot the necessarily couple of times after the 1.1.2 jailbreak. Anyway, if you're having trouble getting the 1.1.1 AppTapp or 1.1.2 TouchFree jailbreak working with the new baseband, try this process, and you should be set. Many thanks to Nightkeeper62!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightkeeper62
    I have an otb 1.1.2 which I had to restore to 1.1.3 and wanted to go back to being jail broken. I tried every guide here and something always did not work just right. I tried both Mac guides and Windows guides. I finally came up with my own system that worked. I cannot tell you why the other guides did not work and this one did. I just know this worked for me so maybe there is someone else having problems like I did and maybe this will help.

I used a Mac, current copy of iTunes, iNdependence 1.3.2 beta, and the jailbreak-1.1.2 package. If you are using Windows then use iBrickr but I don’t know what version. (punkassjim -- iBrickr didn't succeed for me, where iNdependence did)

You will need firmware 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 downloaded

I kept iTunes running at all times during this process. And an important note is that when iTunes asks you to name your phone (and restore your personal data) you should do it because if you don’t then you just might find your self doing this all over again.

Restore your phone to 1.1.1.
    Once finished slide to unlock and type in *#301# hit call.
    Hit x to get rid of what you just typed in and hit 0 then call again.
    Hit answer then hold then decline.
    Now make a new contact with two URLs. One should be prefs: and the other is jailbreakme.com.
    Remember to set up wifi and auto lock to never.
    Now press the home button.
    Now slide to unlock, dial 0, answer, hold, decline.
    (your phone is still plugged into the computer and iTunes is running)
    Now choose the contact and the jailbreak me URL.
    Install apptapp and the phone should reboot.

Now you should be on firmware 1.1.1 jailbroken with the sim error.
    Go to the installer and choose system then BSD and install.
    Now go back to system and install Okto Prep.
    (they say the new version of AppSnapp did the Oktoprep for you, but go ahead and install it anyway, just for good measure)
    Go into iTunes and you will see the pop-up asking to update to 1.1.3. just click “don’t install” and let iTunes fully open.
    Now you are going to hold shift (windows), option (mac) and click on UPDATE!
    Now you will find the 1.1.2 firmware you downloaded and install it.
    After the install you will get message “unknown error 1015” click ok.

Click the eject icon next to the phone and minimize iTunes.
    Start up iNdependence, and it will automatically boot the phone.
    iTunes will pop up asking to upgrade again.
    Click no, eject the phone and minimize iTunes.
    Now open the 1.1.2-Jailbreak and click jailbreak me.
    The phone will reboot once jailbreak is complete and be in recovery mode. Once again click eject next to your phone in iTunes, and minimize it.
    Open iNdependence and the phone will beep and then reboot.

Now you will have firmware 1.1.2 jailbroken with sim error.
    iTunes will want to update again. Tell it no.
    When iTunes finally reads your phone it should say the correct name you gave it and the software version should read 1.1.2.

If you bypassed naming your phone and want to you must start all over again.

Now eject the phone and minimize iTunes.
    On the phone, open installer, go to System and install BSD Subsystem.
    Next there will be an installer update. Do that.
    Now go to System and install OpenSSH.

I don’t know if you can skip these or not. This is what I did and it worked so I included them.

Now go to system and install the “official 1.1.3 upgrader”. Not the soft upgrades. Now it will tell you to use the springboard updater. Do this and follow the prompts. I clicked “no” to both because I can put my stuff back on myself. Now this is going to take a very long time. Probably an hour but once it reboots you should have a jailbroken 1.1.3 iPhone. It will take a minute or two for the phone to recognize the AT&T carrier, no more than 5 minutes though.
    Last edited by punkassjim; 2008-02-02 at 09:31 PM. Reason: problem solved!

From a jailbroken 1.1.2 you need to run the soft-jailbreak to 113 then find the 113 lockdownd floating around the forums and update the one on your phone with it.

It's not possible to run the soft-jailbreak to 1.1.3 when you can't even get to the springboard in 1.1.2. Hence, "I'm stuck on the Incorrect SIM screen."

Why isn't my 1.1.2 jailbreak doing its job? It did yesterday. ALL of this worked yesterday, and today it just ain't happening.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

What if you boot the phone with the sim card not installed?

Have you ever seen that work? Looking for experienced input, as I'm not into haphazardly trying things without a little second-hand precedent.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

Just trying to think logically.

If you need to get past an Invalid Sim card installed message that perhaps taking a tenth of a second to pop out the sim card might be worth a shot?

Forgive me for trying to help ya, won't happen again.

@punkassjim, if you have run the jailbreak on 1.1.2, then you need iBrickr 1.1.3 edition. This program will update your phone with the patched 1.1.3 software. Then you just add that new lockdownd file to replace the old one, and you should have a jailbroken 1.1.3.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneLine View Post
    Just trying to think logically.

If you need to get past an Invalid Sim card installed message that perhaps taking a tenth of a second to pop out the sim card might be worth a shot?

Forgive me for trying to help ya, won't happen again.
    Please take no offense, I really appreciate the input. I've just been trying things aimlessly for way many hours, I HAD to restore back to stock 1.1.3 just so I could use my phone. And I would like to form a game plan for next time I attempt get past this roadblock, which means I'm hoping for more than guesses.

I did try using the iBrickr 1.1.3 edition, but it wouldn't recognize that there was a phone attached. I tried rebooting it manually, putting it in DFU mode, and nothing made iBrickr 1.1.3 see that it was attached.

i had the same problem before...the reason why you have the incorrect sim is you upgraded your baseband to 1.1.3. What you need to do is to restore your phone to version 1.1.1 using itune by holding the shift and click on restore..it might give u errors but what i do is i use ibrik to boot the phone (if it's red then it's working if it's green try restore again) After you restore to 1.1.1 you will still get the incorrect sim msg...follow the steps bellow to fix it...

slide for emergency and dial *#301# to make the phone call itself. If the call window quickly disappears, just remove the *#301# and dial 0.

2. Answer the call and place the call on Hold. The phone will then try to call itself again but press Decline.

3. Tap Contacts, then tab the + button to add a new contact. Scroll to the bottom and tap Add new URL. The first one we are going to add is prefs: and the second one you need to add is jailbreakme.com

4. The reason why we created prefs: was to allow you to connect to a wireless network first. So basically now you need to start over, Slide for Emergency and dial 0. Answer the call then place it on Hold. On the new call tap Decline. This will take you to you contacts. Tap the newly created contact (No Name) and click on first one, prefs:. Connect to a wireless network and then go to General > Auto-Lock > Never. Repeat these steps again but this time click on the second URL, jailbreakme.com.

5. This will launch the jailbreakme.com webpage. Tap Install AppTapp. The phone may reboot itself a few times but give it a few minutes. Once this process is finished, you will see the newly created Installer.app on your main screen.

Downgrade baseband firmware
    Now that the firmware has been restored, we also need to downgrade the baseband firmware.

1. Launch the Installer.app and tap System, then install the BSD SubSystem.

2. Once installed, our nice friends over at unlock.no have created an easy script to automated this process. So click on Sources in Installer.app and add: http://i.unlock.no/

3. Now install the Baseband Downgrader which is found under the Unlocking Tools category. This will take about 5 minutes.

4. Once this process is completed, you must restore the 1.1.1 firmware again.

5. Load up iTunes real quick and while holding Shift for windows users or Option for Mac users click the Restore button once again. Navigate to the 1.1.1 firmware that you downloaded earlier and let iTunes do it's thing. Once restored, you can let iTunes reactivate your iPhone and reinstall the Installer.app program by opening up Safari and navigating to: jailbreakme.com

once you got your 1.1.2 jailbreak..use the installer to soft upgrade to 1.1.3
    Last edited by vietxnameze; 2008-02-01 at 08:12 AM.

I try that but my iphone goes back to the sim error screen

The thing is, there are three problems with that method:

1) if I use the "Nate True" soft upgrade method, the Official SDK app-installer will be broken, and I won't be able to use iTunes to install official apps. Not cool.
    2) The Nate True method also requires patches in order for sh*t to work right. I'm not interested in a cobbled-together iPhone OS.
    3) The downgrade-and-upgrade method I posted at the beginning of this thread seems like the most promising way to get a perfectly-working 1.1.3 phone, since I'm an AT&T customer who has no use for unlocking. I've already used this method to upgrade my phone once, and it worked perfectly, but I used passwd to change my root password, and it screwed up my springboard. So I had to start all over again, and since then the 1.1.2 jailbreak has been failing.

Default frustrating
    i have been doing all kinds of things to get back to a jail broken v1.1.3 and nothing. every time something doesn't work right i go over it again and something different happens. now i keep getting a main script execution failed error when trying to down load the baseband downgrade.
    Last edited by Nightkeeper62; 2008-02-01 at 07:46 PM.

yeah, I ain't going anywhere near the baseband downgrade, or any of the unlocking utilities. That stuff seems too risky to me (call me a pansy). I'd rather stick with bone-stock 1.1.3 than start fecking with my baseband.

no such luck on the "remove the SIM" idea. Same screen, just now it says "no SIM"
    Last edited by punkassjim; 2008-02-01 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by punkassjim View Post
    yeah, I ain't going anywhere near the baseband downgrade, or any of the unlocking utilities. That stuff seems too risky to me (call me a pansy). I'd rather stick with bone-stock 1.1.3 than start fecking with my baseband.

no such luck on the "remove the SIM" idea. Same screen, just now it says "no SIM"
    Same problem here!!! When it gets to the part opf the 1.1.2 jailbrake, i get an error stating that it "cannot connect to device, please plug in your ipod/iphone" Don't know why? I used that method a couple of times before and it worked.. But for some reason not now???!!!!

@dsgalit, your problem sounds different. That sounds like a warning message from iBrickr. Try a hard-reboot of your phone.

So, after leaving out the SIM card didn't work, I tried the whole process again and tried using the iBrickr 1.1.3 edition, and it's been "checking my phone" for about 10 minutes. Doesn't look promising.

All I want to know is, is there a way to get past the damn "Incorrect SIM" screen so I've got a glorified iPod Touch? Seems that's the only way to get through the roadblock. With 1.1.1, jailbreakme.com was the answer, but there seems to be no such method on 1.1.2.

I'm able to run the 1.1.2 jailbreak file repeatedly from my G5 tower or Intel Macbook, but Win XP on my laptop tells me I don't have Oktoprep installed when I try to run the jailbreak. Go back to the Macbook, and I can run the jailbreak file without an error message.

Quote Originally Posted by punkassjim View Post
    @dsgalit, your problem sounds different. That sounds like a warning message from iBrickr. Try a hard-reboot of your phone.

So, after leaving out the SIM card didn't work, I tried the whole process again and tried using the iBrickr 1.1.3 edition, and it's been "checking my phone" for about 10 minutes. Doesn't look promising.

All I want to know is, is there a way to get past the damn "Incorrect SIM" screen so I've got a glorified iPod Touch? Seems that's the only way to get through the roadblock. With 1.1.1, jailbreakme.com was the answer, but there seems to be no such method on 1.1.2.

I'm able to run the 1.1.2 jailbreak file repeatedly from my G5 tower or Intel Macbook, but Win XP on my laptop tells me I don't have Oktoprep installed when I try to run the jailbreak. Go back to the Macbook, and I can run the jailbreak file without an error message.
    Actually this happens when i run the 1.1.2 jailbreak and i click on "jailbreak" it opens up the black dialouge box thens spits out that error message.. Anyway thanks for the reply man...

Default incorrect sim error fix
    This is a collaboration between punkassjim and myself. It worked for both of us and I hope it helps others.

I have an otb 1.1.2 which I had to restore to 1.1.3 and wanted to go back to being jail broken. I tried every guide here and something always did not work just right. I tried both Mac guides and Windows guides. I finally came up with my own system that worked. I cannot tell you why the other guides did not work and this one did. I just know this worked for me so maybe there is someone else having problems like I did and maybe this will help.

I used a Mac, current copy of iTunes, independence 1.3.2 beta, and Jailbreak 1.1.2. If you are using Windows then use iBrickr but I don’t know what version.

You will need firmware 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 downloaded

I kept iTunes running at all times during this process. And an important note is that when iTunes asks you to name your phone you should do it because if you don’t then you just might find your self doing this all over again.

Restore your phone to 1.1.1.
    Once finished slide to unlock and type in *#301# hit call.
    Hit x to get rid of what you just typed in and hit 0 then call again.
    Hit answer then hold then decline.
    Now make a new contact with two URLs. One should be prefs: and the other is jailbreakme.com.
    Remember to set up wifi and auto lock to never.
    Now press the home button.
    Now slide to unlock, dial 0, answer, hold, decline.
    (your phone is still plugged into the computer and iTunes is running)
    Now choose the contact and the jailbreak me URL.
    Install apptapp and the phone should reboot.

Now you should be on firmware 1.1.1 jailbroken with the sim error.
    Go to the installer and choose system then BDS and install.
    Now go back to system and install Okto Prep.
    (they say the new version of AppSnapp did the Oktoprep for you, but go ahead and install it anyway, just for good measure)
    Go into iTunes and you will see the pop-up asking to update to 1.1.3. just click “don’t install” and let iTunes fully open.
    Now you are going to hold shift (windows), option (mac) and click on UPDATE!
    Now you will find the 1.1.2 firmware you downloaded and install it.
    After the install you will get message “unknown error 1015” click ok.

Click the eject icon next to the phone and minimize iTunes.
    Start up iNdependence, and it will automatically boot the phone.
    iTunes will pop up asking to upgrade again.
    Click no, eject the phone and minimize iTunes.
    Now open the 1.1.2-Jailbreak and click jailbreak me.
    The phone will reboot once jailbreak is complete and be in recovery mode. Once again click eject next to your phone in iTunes, and minimize it.
    Open iNdependence and the phone will beep and then reboot.

Now you will have firmware 1.1.2 jailbroken with sim error.
    iTunes will want to update again. Tell it no.
    When iTunes finally reads your phone it should say the correct name you gave it and the software version should read 1.1.2.

If you bypassed naming your phone and want to you must start all over again.

Now eject the phone and minimize iTunes.
    On the phone, open installer, go to System and install BSD Subsystem.
    Next there will be an installer update. Do that.
    Now go to System and install OpenSSH.

I don’t know if you can skip these or not. This is what I did and it worked so I included them.

Now go to system and install the “official 1.1.3 upgrader”. Not the soft upgrades. Now it will tell you to use the springboard updater. Do this and follow the prompts. I clicked “no” to both because I can put my stuff back on myself. Now this is going to take a very long time. Probably an hour but once it reboots you should have a jailbroken 1.1.3 iPhone. It will take a minute or two for the phone to recognize the AT&T carrier, no more than 5 minutes though.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightkeeper62 For This Useful Post:

punkassjim (2008-02-02)

Many thanks again, man. I've added your post to the beginning of this thread, so people can find the solution nice and quick!

JUST finished this process and it WORKS!!! thank you soo much, i have been looking everywere for this for alost a WEEK!!

hi, have been through this process loads of times but am stuck on the point where it says incorrect sim, there is only the world icon and no springboard to choose installer!!! it has downgraded to 1.1.1 ok. i am on 1.1.3 with an ootb 1.1.2 which i accidently upgraded through itunes. any help would be appreciated as i am going slightly mad now and the wife is going to kill me if i spend much more time on the computer!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast