Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Advice for purchasing NEW iPhone

Thanks

Default Advice for purchasing NEW iPhone
    Forgive me if this has been posted somewhere but I cannot find it. Hardly a noob, I currently am enjoying my 1.1.2 jailbroken iphone (originally 1.0.2 OTB). I have jailbroken and done a full restore downgrade/upgrade back to 1.1.2 on my iPhone.

My question is, my 18 year old son has been admiring my iPhone and has now saved up to buy his own. He tells me he is going to get one this afternoon. What are his chances of still getting a 1.1.2 firmware? I have not seen any posts yet about 1.1.3 OTB being able to be jailbroken. The phone would be legitimately activated on ATT so we are not interested in unlocking- just jailbreaking.

Anyone know if..
    1- a 1.1.3 out of box can be jailbroken with either Nates or the Dev teams method?
    2- what are the best chances of getting a 1.1.2 firmware phone- Apple store or ATT store?

Thanks!

i could have missed something, but the only jailbreaks i've seen for 1.1.3 require a jailbroken an OTB 1.1.2 or older phone... I'm not sure if 1.1.3 is being sold already on iphones. But if i were going to buy one, it would definatly be from an ATT store NOT an apple store... simply because i think apple sells more then ATT does, so ATT probably has older phones. So pick the smallest least popular ATT store in your area. thats what i would do anyways. GOOD LUCK!

-EDIT- then again, even if he gets unlucky and gets a 1.1.3, i doubt it will be long before there is a jailbreak
    Last edited by risky business; 2008-01-31 at 07:34 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to risky business For This Useful Post:

bhz1 (2008-01-31)

Thanks

Thanks, didn't even think of that. I bought mine in teh Apple store up at the King of Prussia (PA) mall which is huge and that is where my son was probably thinking of going. There is an ATT store up there as well but I imagine its high volume too. I searched and found another ATT store not terribly far away and just called and they told me they had some iPhones in stock. i asked him if they sell "a lot" of iPhones there and he said they did not. So that might be a great possibility.

Since I posted my first note, I Googled some more and I believe an OTB 1.1.3 can be down graded/ jailbroken/ upgraded but would have to be upgraded all the way back to 1.1.3. I know my son really wants to do some custom wallpapers and such so if he is stuck at 1.1.3, he'll just have to be patient and wait for a Summerboard fix. If hes really upset maybe I'll trade him mine...for a price!

EDIT: Well he's got an OTB 1.1.3 - Week 3, 2008
    He's Ok with it as long as I can give him his custom lockscreen for now. Now we are just trying to figure out how to port his phonebook from his V3i to Outlook. I may try jailbreaking using the 1.1.3 method over the weekend since i've read where some folks have done this and it worked as long as you dont want to unlock. Figure can always restore to stock 1.1.3 if need be. Might be fun to experiment on.

I actually went with him to the ATT store to pick this up and as the guy was ringing up the sale, i picked up the box and read the serial number and asked the ATT rep if he happened to have any "older" ones in the back. he must have thought I was nuts and went on to tell me why i want the 1.1.3 firmware. I almost pulled my fully modded 1.1.2 out of my bag to show him, but decided that would embarass my kid.
    Last edited by bhz1; 2008-01-31 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Update