Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 2.x lowered Location accuracy?

Unhappy iPhone 2.x lowered Location accuracy?
    I finally could not resist the urge to upgrade to iPhone 2.x and did so this weekend. But I have noticed a strange thing on my trials...

The location services for the iPhone 2.0.1 turn out to be less accurate than they were in 1.1.4... Is this an Apple ploy to sell more iPhone 3Gs or is this due to the nature of the beast?

Previously I had my home Wifi registered with Skyhook and it literally showed me located exactly dot on! Now it kind of circles the whole city, which it also circles when I use GSM based locations... And where-ever I move within the city, it keeps circling the same circle and every Location-based app gives the same coordinates...

Weird!

You stated that you were on 1.1.4 before, which means you have the 2G. The 2G does not have GPS, it's was pretty much cell phone tower triangulation, with a 3000 meter radius. The radius will also vary as you move around to area will low signal.

The 3G has GPS, which will give you an exact location.

You stated that you were on 1.1.4 before, which means you have the 2G. The 2G does not have GPS, it's was pretty much cell phone tower triangulation, with a 3000 meter radius. The radius will also vary as you move around to area will low signal.

The 3G has GPS, which will give you an exact location.
    Last edited by weezyhuy; 2008-08-11 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

On my 3G - Indoors away from GPS's reach I've found it is less acurate as well, before it'd get almost spot on (within 500+/- meters, usually within 100m of my street) now its no where near