Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How can I transfer my contacts from my iPhone to outlook?

Default How can I transfer my contacts from my iPhone to outlook?
    Hi,
    I would like to know if there is a way to transfer the contacts from the iPhone to outlook without it deleting all my contacts as there are NONE in outlook right now.

I know there is a setting in itunes for saving iPhone contacts created on it in Outlook but it is always greyed out!

Any help would be great! thanks!

I would like to know this as well... where would the location be if we ssh into? is there any way at all?
    if i sinc my phone to itunes i will loose all my contacts, since computer doesn't have them

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

/private/var/mobile/AddressBook/AddressBook.sqlitedb contains your contacts. SMS, Notes, Call History are in similarly named folders. Just SSH and copy. The perfect backup.

iTunes is supposed to 'sync' -meaning bring both databases up to date. There is an option to 'overwrite' the iPhone but that is turned off by default. Saving your iPhone database prior to the 1st sync will protect yourself. If the sync doesn't work as expected, just put it back (check permissions) and reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    /private/var/mobile/AddressBook/AddressBook.sqlitedb contains your contacts. SMS, Notes, Call History are in similarly named folders. Just SSH and copy. The perfect backup.

iTunes is supposed to 'sync' -meaning bring both databases up to date. There is an option to 'overwrite' the iPhone but that is turned off by default. Saving your iPhone database prior to the 1st sync will protect yourself. If the sync doesn't work as expected, just put it back (check permissions) and reboot.
    awsome! thanks alot, and would this be the same with apple apps, songs,pics, ect..? the term sync here applies differently, as far as i know, according to itunes, if you "Sync" you will loose all your apps, sogns, ect if they are not present on your computer... im i wrong?

Can't you just synch to outlook? It should ask if you want to replace or merge. Merging should work fine.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gabster508 View Post
    awsome! thanks alot, and would this be the same with apple apps, songs,pics, ect..? the term sync here applies differently, as far as i know, according to itunes, if you "Sync" you will loose all your apps, sogns, ect if they are not present on your computer... im i wrong?
    No. If it's sync'd to a different computer (or new), iTunes will trash all music and apps before syncing to your current computer/iTunes/account. Not sure what it does with photos. It doesn't delete contacts (and hopefully SMS, notes, call history, etc) To prevent theft, iTunes probably deletes anything that could be purchased with iTunes.

It's very difficult to get details. Most people on MMI won't go into details because they think people are trying to steal. The usual response --- sync and let iTunes do it's job. If you loose something then you were'nt supposed to have it

The 'manually manage music and videos' option that a lot of people recommend might help --- but I think it must be changed on the original sync'ing computer first. On the web, there are lots that have found klunky ways around Apples highly-restrictive methods. Some work better than others. I try to stick with the basics since everything I've got is legit and I hate spending an hour or two restoring this 16GB everytime I screw something up.