Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IT Policy

Default IT Policy
    Now that my company is atempting to adopt the iPhone on the network, along with Blackberries on the BES Server. Last night, I received a setup file, so I decide to flash it the the original 2.0.1 firmware. I installed the setup file, now today I can actually get into the VPN. I was using Exchange over 3G before.

However my question is, will I IT know if I jailbreak my phone, does it call back which the Blackberry does. Also, will IT know that unofficial applications I install from Cydia. The memo said that applications will be distributed if the iPhone trial runs fine, until then I'm using the pre-installed apps, and OmniFocus.
    Last edited by weezyhuy; 2008-08-07 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks

Depends on how diligent your IT people are. Remember that any information provided to you by your company is owned by the company, and using it through methods that aren't authorized is grounds for dismissal.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

The iPhone was purchased by me along with the line and data plan. My Curve was company issued and service is on the corporate line, therefore I understand I must use it under company terms. However since the iPhone is original owned by me, it was only granted access on the network. I've been told that we may be credited for the iPhone if it intended for business use but I don't plan to do that for instances I may want to sell the phone.

In that situation, shouldn't I be allowed to jailbreak and modify the phone to my preference. Eurisko, are you confirming that the iPhone can call back to the IT department?

Thanks

Yes it can. We've run into the same issue here. And long as your company knows you're accessing exchange via the iPhone and not tricking them into thinking you're using a Blackberry you should fine.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

weezyhuy (2008-08-07)

The "iPhone trial period" simply discourages me to jailbreak the phone, I simply do not want the IT to think the iPhone is an unsecured device. The IT department is very diligent at their work, Blackberries are constantly monitored and applications are changed and pushed often.

Let's just hope someone can disable certain callbacks*, *jailbreak, from notifying the IT department. Well, Eurisko, thanks alot for your responses and clarifying this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by weezyhuy View Post
    The "iPhone trial period" simply discourages me to jailbreak the phone, I simply do not want the IT to think the iPhone is an unsecured device. The IT department is very diligent at their work, Blackberries are constantly monitored and applications are changed and pushed often.

Let's just hope someone can disable certain callbacks*, *jailbreak, from notifying the IT department. Well, Eurisko, thanks alot for your responses and clarifying this issue.

I would think that that right there would very possibly end the use of the iPhone on secured corporate servers.

I agree that definitely would, it's one of those spur of the moment comments. I'm fine with an unjailbroken iPhone for now. I got tired of seeing the same Blackberry interface for years. However, I haven't receive any word where as our app store would be disable, and if apps would have to be approved and distributed by the IT.