Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Genius and their custom software

iPhone? More like MyPhone compton,Tx's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple's Genius and their custom software
    I had a Gen 1 with rebooting and freezing problems. Called Apple Support and they said sounds like a hardware problem, told me to take it in. Took it to Apple and the Genius said "actually it sounds like a software problem" So I told him I had restored 1.1.4 twice then a week later upgraded to 2.0 and restored once "Software problem". He then told me to make it reboot or freeze again, I said, I don't decide when it does that, but I'll try. Tried for 30 min. but had to go back to work. Came back 2hrs later when phone shut off, he then plugs it in and starts to restore to 2.0. 20 minutes into the restore I ask was this a "special Firmware" that only apple has? The Genius says no, so I conclude with, so it's the same that i've restored to 4 times already, what's going to be different? He didn't like that so much, but I could tell he was not going to give me a replacement or send it off to fix it. After another 20min of this crap he gave me a replacement phone. So after dealing with this guy I was pretty upset and wanted to share, and also ask you guys what software does Apple use to check the phone, and what does it tell them, and why do they need my permission to run the test?

Sorry for the long post but the guy was not very nice or helpful, he was a new Genius and a little cocky, my worst experience since dealing with apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

WOW Sad, I think they want your permission because its your phone

It's probably cause it will wipe any of your data from the device it's like saying i'm going to format you hard drive. is that okay? cause all your data will be gone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Actually all it does is read log files and spell the stats out in a much more legible English. The permission is because the info it sends back is used by engineering for diagnostic purposes, just like the thing you may or may not have agreed to when you first sync'd up with iTunes.
    The bulk of the info is already available in the Settings app, it's the Usage Info and you get the current and the best since the last restore as well as the date of the last restore if it's been recorded (I've seen some where the tool couldn't determine the last restore).
    The next portion shows percentage of failed calls and dropped calls as well as the actual number (xxx of yyy calls failed).
    After that is the portion that reports application instabilities like force quits via the Home button and unexpected quits and displays that.
    I haven't tried my 3G on it but with 1.1.4 on my first gen phone it noticed some of the unofficial third party apps and it suggested they may cause instability, which gave me a chuckle.

Edit:
    And here's where some info is from:
    /private/var/logs/AppleSupport/general.log In mine it shows the serial number and Customize's binary a buncha times showing when it quit after a download, this is probably what gets reported as an unexpected quit in the last section of the tool.
    /private/var/logs/Baseband Mine's currently empty as I restored my phone earlier today, but I'm pretty sure this is where the dropped and failed calls are logged at.
    /private/var/logs/CrashReporter Mine has a plist from Customize (go figure) and a LatestCrash.plist, both have a single blank line in them when looked at with vi. There are also directories for Baseband (a second empty one for me) and Panics (empty as well, my phone hasn't restarted on its own since the restore).
    /private/var/mobile/Library/Logs/AppleSupport Mine only has a general.log which seems to be logging general application crashes under the mobile user (read: virtually all graphical interface apps), mostly invalid memory address faults and a kernel protection failure. SpringBoard is mentioned in it too, as that was the most recent crash I had.
    /private/var/mobile/Library/Logs/CrashReporter Various logs for mobile's crashed applications.

My root user did not have a Logs directory in its Library, probably because root's true home directory is /private/var where the earlier log files are at.
    I haven't explored anywhere else but those are where they are in traditional BSD and most Unix file systems as well as the desktop Mac OS X.
    Last edited by kcrmson; 2008-08-07 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Log file locations on the iPhone
    I came, I saw, I forgot what the hell I was there for.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kcrmson For This Useful Post:

compton,Tx (2008-08-10)

Thanks

apple support sucks. They just want ur money... i went there with an ipod that wasnt holding its charge, and the "genius" says to me, "hmm its not holding its charge" (no sh*t) "I can send it in and get u a refurbished one for 100 dollars, or you can trade it in for 20% off your next purchase." I just wanted you to fix it for free apple aghhhh!
    17" MacBook Pro
    G5
    iPhone 3GS 16G 3.1 Jailbroken//AT&T
    follow me on [email protected]

Thanks

gee I am totally impressed with apple support. Got my son's iPod classic replaced when it wouldn't sync past 1 gb despite the fact it had a dent in the back like someone jabbed it with a pen. They also sold me a 3g even though in only authorized to make changes on our att account not primary. Afteroverhearing all my phonecalls with att he letmep give him the " primary" ss# digits and the transaction went through. On this note I really am the primary but for some reason the account was put in my spouses name despite the fact that I make all decisions related to the account.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

20% off for an iPod recycle? That's a deal, it's 10% normally and not adjustable.

As for charging you to replace it because of the battery, are you out of warranty? Don't expect the world of electronics to be free if you're out of warranty, even employees have to pay for their repairs if they're out of warranty.

On that note though, if someone comes in a with a phone with issues, if it's not heavily damaged and not liquid damaged and the person isn't a total jerk, I'll help them the best I can.

But when I get people who misdirect their anger, they don't get as great of support, the "it's not working for me/replace it for me NOW" scenario isn't one you want to be in if someone else is facilitating the replacement for you.

Sorta like a restaurant, treat people like crap and they spit in your food or much worse. Or don't help you at all.
    I came, I saw, I forgot what the hell I was there for.

Every time I have had to go to the genius bar I've just walked out with a "new" one. I'm really laid-back, patient, and very rarely in a hurry (I was inside the store being helped by an associate and later a manager at 3G launch from 8:15am to 3:30pm), so they may have been friendlier with me . The second 1st gen iPhone I had did the same thing you're describing, and I too restored it multiple times to no avail. I was under warranty and they sent it back, but not before handing me a new one and offering to set it up for me.