Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PLZ HELP ME...can not turn off or reset iphone

Unhappy PLZ HELP ME...can not turn off or reset iphone
    Can anyone please assist me with this matter????
    I have a 2G iphone which was unlocked. When i updated my itunes I accidentally updated the firmware to 2.0 and now my iphone is back to being sim locked and everything erased. I can't downgrade my firmware because I can not get my phone to go into DFU mode since it will not shut off. My power/reset button up top doesnt work and if i slide the touch screen option to "power off" the phone turns right back on.....CAN SOME1 please help me so I can use my phone again....THANKS SO MUCH

Thanks

When you say the sleep button doesn't work, you mean it doesn't react to anything? First to see if your phone will actually shut off, install PowerTool from Cydia, and then use the Power Down option.

To try going into DFU mode, are you trying holding both sleep/home buttons for 10 seconds, releasing sleep button and keep pressing home until iTunes pops up saying its found an iPhone that needs restore?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Yes it doesn't react to anything. And where can I download and install the PowerTool from Cydia?
    When I try to go into DFU mode i can't. The only thing I can do is hold down home for 10 seconds and then the iphone shows me the itunes icon and the cable and iTunes says its found an iphone that needs to restore. However, I was using Pgwne (or however the program is spelled) and since I couldnt shut the phone off it would never go into DFU mode

Thanks

So that's fine then. You can create a custom 2.0 firmware with Pwnage, and use that to restore. When iTunes says its found an iPhone that needs restoring, you can use shift-click on Restore to select the custom pwnage firmware.

You can do a search for PowerTool on Cydia, make sure you've added all the sources.

Itunes won't restore the iphone with the custom firmware, I tried that. It keeps giving me an error message. And also isn't Cydia an app that is suppose to be on the iphone? How will I do a search?

I'm sorry, I am just so lost
    Last edited by alazay3; 2008-08-06 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Oh sorry, my bad, you did a regular restore so Cydia wouldn't have been put on. What error do you get when doing the Restore?

Just that Itunes cant restore the iphone with that particular firmware. However, it does it with the regular 2.0 firmware. I am assuming its because the phone isn't in DFU mode.