Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.1.2 - Restore Older Backup?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 1.1.2 - Restore Older Backup?
    Hi there,

Yesterday I upgraded my 1.1.2 OOB to 1.1.3 with the "soft jailbreak" method. I was having some problems with 3rd party apps so I decided to do the whole restoring-oktoprepping-upgrading process again. iTunes backed up my iPhone when it was running 1.1.3.

After I restored to 1.1.1, iTunes gave me two options: set up as new iPhone or restore from backup. Of course I was going to restore from backup, but iTunes told me it was incompatible with my device (apparently because it was created with newer firmware), so I had to set it up as a new iPhone. iTunes "overwrote" (sort of) my earlier backup, and I'm having hard time figuring out how to restore it. I upgraded the phone to 1.1.2.

The thing is: when I go to ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ and open the cryptically named folder, I can see files created 22th January (I had 1.1.2 then), so I think those are the earlier backups I'd like to restore (they basically contain few SMS messages, but that's all).
    I tried deleting newer backup files and resetting my iPhone. iTunes tells me it restored iPhone from backup, but no data was moved into iPhone.

So, is there a way to restore older iPhone backups, if newer ones have been made? I'm using Mac with Leopard, if that helps.

Thanks.

EDIT: Alternatively, is there a way to extract SMS conversations from those backup files and apply them to the phone?

EDIT2: Isn't it funny, when you post question like this, you find answer to it a little bit later? I found a Perl script that extracts iPhone-compatible files from iTunes-made backups:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=329813
    I'm going to try moving these files over to my iPhone, let's see what happens
    Last edited by tuomas92; 2008-01-26 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Added another question and cleared few things up.
    MacBook (Core Duo) running Leopard, UK iPhone: SW Unlocked for DNA Finland

Hi,
    I attempted the 1.1.3 soft update but to no avail. Therefore, I had to restore back to 1.1.2. Unfortunately, through this process I was not able to recover my data. I wanted to know if you had any success. It is imperative I recover my notes. Please let me know if you had any success. I am using Windows Vista. Your response is much appreciated.