Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just bought a used 2G iPhone... what next!

Default Just bought a used 2G iPhone... what next!
    ok... Bought the iPhone off of Craigslist and downloaded the Ziphone info. What next? I push the jailbreak and unlock button but nothing seems to be working. The slate is clean on the iPhone... should I put my sim card in first? I am not sure what software is loaded or needs to be loaded.

Any help would be great!

Matt

OK well is it 2.0 cuz ziphone is not 2.0 compatible. If you want the app store you need 2.0 if not 1.1.4 is fine. Do you have a plan? is it ATT? and is it and iPhone one? If it is 2.0 you need to use pwnage/winpwn to jailbreak it. Im glad to help but i need some more info.
    1. What is its firmware(ex.1.1.4)
    2. Your plan/carrier
    I'm glad to help just need more info.

well, the carrier is T-moble and I believe the firmware is now 2.0. Can I switch it back to 1.1.4? Seem easier.

Thanks Shadow!

Yes 1.1.4 is easier all around, more apps, more software compatible, but you don't get apples app store. And so what you get tons more free apps that do more. So here's a great guide i borrowed from Poseidon79.
    PC & Mac Guide - Downgrade from 2.0 to 1.1.4
    Before we begin please budget about 45mins of your time to get this done.

*This is only for 1st Generation iPhones that have been upgraded... not for 3G iPhones*

1. Download iTunes 7.5 from here: Direct Download iTunes 7.5 to Activate iPhone Anywhere Internationally My Digital Life
    2. Uninstall your current version of iTunes and reboot your PC.
    3. Go to My Documents > My Music > iTunes and delete the file called "iTunes Library.itl"
    4. Install iTunes 7.5

Note for OSX users:
    If you are on OSX and want to attempt to downgrade your iTunes, you can try these steps:

Load up Terminal and type the following:
    killall iTunesHelper
    sudo -s
    rm -r /Applications/iTunes.app
    rm -r /Library/Receipts/iTunesX.pkg
    rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes*
    rm -r /Applications/iTunes.app
    rm -r /Library/Receipts/iTunesX.pkg
    rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes*
    rm -r /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework

5. Download the 1.1.4 restore file from the here http://www.modmyi.com/forums/dow...o=file&id=2231 if you don't already have it.
    6. Put your phone into DFU mode using the following steps
    a. Plug your phone into iTunes (ignore the message that pops up)
    b. Power the phone OFF
    c. Hold power and home for EXACTLY 10 seconds
    d. Release power (continue to hold home)
    e. iTunes will recognize iphone in restore mode (you can let go of home now)
    7. Hold shift and click Restore - select the 1.1.4 firmware file you downloaded
    8. After it's done restoring you will get error 1015 and the phone should be in recovery mode (iTunes logo with cable)
    9. Important! Hold shift and click Restore and select the 1.1.4 firmware file and RESTORE AGAIN.
    10. After it's done open iLiberty "other tools" tab and click "jump out of recovery mode". (note - if you didn't restore TWICE as instructed above the phone won't jump out of recovery mode)
    Note: On a Mac you can use Independence to kick out of recovery mode. independence - Google Code

OK, you now have a phone with 1.1.4 Firmware and the 4.05.04 baseband. Now we have to downgrade the baseband

11. Download KiPhone
    *Unzip all files into a folder before you run the program or it will fail*
    12. Run KiPhone with Debug Boot and iErase options checked. (Leave the box for downgrade UNCHECKED)
    13. Plug your phone into iTunes and shift+click restore to 1.1.4 AGAIN. This will write the correct 4.04.05 baseband to you phone. (You may have to put your phone into recovery mode manually for iTunes to let you restore - hold power and home until the phone reboots - continue to hold until you see the iTunes logo)
    14. Your phone should now be factory 1.1.4 with the matching baseband - all you have left is to jailbreak/unlock with you method of choice.

DFU Restore Mode:
    1. Boot phone 2. Hold Power + Home until the screen goes BLACK 3. Continue to hold home and let go of power 4. Plug into iTunes (screen should still be BLACK) 5. Within 20 seconds it should come up in recovery mode 6. Let go of Home and hit RESTORE in iTunes.
    anymore help needed just post it here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowck5000 For This Useful Post:

The Salt (2008-08-05)

perfect! thanks much!